Did I make a mistake?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you let the cantaloupe grow out into the yard, you might want to put some mulch down so the grass doesn't grow up through the vines. Cardboard, newspapers, covered with grass clippings, leaves, etc. Or some cardboard with the pallet on top might work. Keep us posted on what you do! (y)

Reaction score
That is pretty close spacing. I believe I would add extra fertilizer, as both cantaloupe and bell peppers are heavy feeders! And, since Florida tends to have sandy soil, fertilize at regular intervals.

I would go ahead and try it, but that is just me. My own soil is rich heavy clay, so I am guessing, here!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
As marlingardener said just build a trellis for the melons and let them grow up that. You will still have plenty of room for the peppers. But where are the tomatoes? You need another bed or large containers for them. It is sacrilegious and against the law to not have tomatoes.:)
I don't even like raw tomatoes (the exception being purple Cherokee tomatoes) yet I have five or more plants every year. Also on the topic of spacing, I am not a fan of trellising cantaloupe, but if you don't you won't have any room. However your peppers should be fine (in fact you probably could've planted them closer together)

Ask a Question