David Austin

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The catalogue arrived by post today and my wife grabbed it before I could put it in the bin.
"We've" ordered two bare root roses, Gertrude Jeckyll and Vanessa Bell.

It's likely that two on the "rose patio" will eventually get relegated to "the alley of shame," (the drive next to the side of our house). The decion to be taken in the spring.

Prices have gone up.

They were over £5 more each than I paid for some a couple of years ago.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I am sorry to say that I think D.A. roses are just a big overly expensive confidence trick.

Don't worry about it.
As I always say, each to their own.

Some of the things we buy might amaze some. Like our Kitchenaid 4 slot toaster which was an expensive indulgence, but we liked it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Have you ever been to the Garden Centre? The rose gardens, even with my dislike of them, they are pretty spectacular.
Still think they are massively over priced though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Have you ever been to the Garden Centre? The rose gardens, even with my dislike of them, they are pretty spectacular.
Still think they are massively over priced though.

All due repect, you've one of two choices, buy, or don't buy.
We have particular circumstances, my wife has MS and rarely goes out, so does most of her shopping onm line, which is how I ordered these.
I could go trawling around a garden centre on my own, I occasionally do. But ordering on-line is a lot easier as many people do, so that's what I've done. If price was a concern I might not have done.

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
From cuttings you can have more roses, here are my methods under the autumn bottle.
IMG_20211014_002039.jpg
IMG_20211014_002024.jpg
IMG_20211014_002034.jpg
IMG_20211014_002214.jpg
IMG_20211014_002219.jpg
IMG_20211014_002119.jpg
IMG_20211014_002104.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am in Seattle. I have gone through at leadt 15 David Austin roses by now. Gertrude Jekyll is my most fragrant rose here.

I also grow boscobel. It flowers continuously. Planted lady of shallot this year a couple of months ago. She is in partial shade but has 15 blooms already.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I am in Seattle. I have gone through at leadt 15 David Austin roses by now. Gertrude Jekyll is my most fragrant rose here.

I also grow boscobel. It flowers continuously. Planted lady of shallot this year a couple of months ago. She is in partial shade but has 15 blooms already.
@Groggyfrog, It is encouraging that the Lady of Shallot Rose is flowering so well.

Ask a Question