Roses at David Austin's Garden Centre

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Oh, my, YES I enjoyed seeing that! We have a few David Austin's--Dark Lady, Charles Darwin, and Julia Child. I have to be careful--some of his roses don't adapt well to Texas, but those that do are show stoppers.
Thank you for the link, I've put it in my bookmarks so I can see it again and again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I could have taken a lot more photos, but we were there quite late in the day and needed to get home. Also the place was heaving with customers and it was not easy to actually get where I could take shots of the plants.
Confession time. I loathe Roses! I will not have them in the garden at any price.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I am aghast, simply aghast! Oldboggy, you loathe roses? Gee, up 'til now I thought you were a fine fellow. I may have to revise my opinion (not really, we are all entitled to our little mistakes).
Sheal, think of the years and years of pleasure you'll get from a beautiful and fragrant David Austin rose. I'm frugal, but I'll fork over cold cash for the right David Austin rose any day!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Why should I like a plant which has more pests and diseases than almost any other, thorns which carry Tetanus germs and which needs more maintenance than even cordon tomatoes? In this garden they are dead twigs from late August to March.
I want things which give pleasure not pain and for a lot longer than that.
Personally I think that Roses are the biggest confidence trick ever pulled and fallen for by more people than any other.
BUT, if you likes them, you likes them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Why should I like a plant which has more pests and diseases than almost any other, thorns which carry Tetanus germs and which needs more maintenance than even cordon tomatoes? In this garden they are dead twigs from late August to March.
I want things which give pleasure not pain and for a lot longer than that.
Personally I think that Roses are the biggest confidence trick ever pulled and fallen for by more people than any other.
BUT, if you likes them, you likes them.

Interesting perspective, I've never thought of it like that before!

I really like the look of those Geoff Hamilton roses, they almost look like Peonies :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
So many roses, so many colours! They're lovely! I think my ideal dream garden would have lots of rose bushes like these all over the place.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Gorgeous roses and so many different colors to see! You did a fantastic job taking some breath taking shots of them.

Reaction score
Loved the lilac and purple ones :) Those are my favorite colors! I had no idea there were purple colored roses to be honest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Sheal, think of the years and years of pleasure you'll get from a beautiful and fragrant David Austin rose. I'm frugal, but I'll fork over cold cash for the right David Austin rose any day!

I have nine roses in my garden Marlingardener all of them bought from a rose nursery that I know won't rip me off. They are good quality and at least half the price that David Austin charges. I refuse to pay for a name.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you so much for sharing these beautiful photos. I love roses more than anything, they're my favorite plants and looking at them always makes me happy:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing those beautiful pictures of the roses! I really enjoyed seeing them. Roses are my favorite flower and I can't wait to plant some more rose bushes this spring! Very beautiful pictures!

Ask a Question