Shade Grass near Austin Texas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What would be the best grass for an area that is shaded by oak trees until about 2:00 PM in Cedar Creek, TX?
No grass will grow well in shade BUT the very best shade tolerant grass for Texas is Palmetto St. Ausustine. Do not be fooled by people stating how good Bermuda, Zoysia, Buffalo and Fescue are. They ARE NOT. And even in the open sun they are not as attractive as St. Augustine. The only down side to St. Augustine is that it is only sold as turf which means no seed.

Buy only FRESH CUT, that means cut today or yesterday late in the afternoon. All turf grass must be laid ASAP. This means that all prop work must already be done. DO NOT BUY GRASS THAT IS MORE THAN 2 DAYS OLD. In this heat you must water 2 times a day every day for at least a week. preferrably 2 weeks. Then slow to once a day. Once established once a week @1 inch per week will be sufficient. If you want to know more about preparation PM me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh well - so much for that plan. I seeded the sunlit portion of my small yard with Bermuda precisely because it could be grown from seed, and was told that it would be drought tolerant and spread all by itself... :confused: It's growing pretty nice but I didn't seed the whole yard because I was doubtful anything would grow. I don't think it looks all that bad but I couldn't tell you what St. Augustine looks like, and no way could I lay sod - too old and broken for that.

I spread some Scotts lawn soil on the remainder of the yard and some of the bare spots, worked it in a little, seeded with Bermuda, and covered with a little more lawn soil, just 3-days ago. Been watering it twice a day until I see grass growing. It is lighter in color than whatever was growing that that seems to have died off with the heat.

I guess I'll have to learn to live with dirt in the shade area.

You're a good guy, Chuck - you should be in the home gardening business! (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh well - so much for that plan. I seeded the sunlit portion of my small yard with Bermuda precisely because it could be grown from seed, and was told that it would be drought tolerant and spread all by itself... :confused: It's growing pretty nice but I didn't seed the whole yard because I was doubtful anything would grow. I don't think it looks all that bad but I couldn't tell you what St. Augustine looks like, and no way could I lay sod - too old and broken for that.

I spread some Scotts lawn soil on the remainder of the yard and some of the bare spots, worked it in a little, seeded with Bermuda, and covered with a little more lawn soil, just 3-days ago. Been watering it twice a day until I see grass growing. It is lighter in color than whatever was growing that that seems to have died off with the heat.

I guess I'll have to learn to live with dirt in the shade area.

You're a good guy, Chuck - you should be in the home gardening business! (y)
There's lots of things you can do in the shade. Ground covers or shade loving flowers either in pots or not. Bermuda is the most popular grass in Texas but it does have its drawbacks. For one chiggers love it. And two it will brown out in the summer heat. Unlike St. Ausgustine it will not die if you don't maintain your watering schedule but it will not grow in the shade. It will easily spread but only if you keep it watered. Not only must you water until the seed germinates but for a couple of weeks afterward too, or until it grows some roots. Then or even now, you should spread some ORGANIC fertilizer over the entire grassy area and water it in. Did you get Common Bermuda or a hyprid seed?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chiggers? That is just fricken great. Why would anyone sell a product that those those disgusting things love? When I first moved here I got attacked by them and everyone shrugged until I figured out what they were by spending weeks Googling what the heck happened to my legs. Then they were like, oh yeah, chiggers...

My day just gt totally ruined - I am not blaming you at all, actually thanking you for letting me know. My legs are totally scared like I have leprocy form those damned things and I can't even wear shorts because of the embarrassment. :mad:

How do I kill the Bermuda grass? I need to move back to AZ.

Scotts Bermudagrass - Gold Gloved Bermudagrass unhulled California origin.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chiggers? That is just fricken great. Why would anyone sell a product that those those disgusting things love? When I first moved here I got attacked by them and everyone shrugged until I figured out where there by spending weeks Googling what the heck happened to my legs. Then they were like, oh yeah, chiggers...

My day just gt totally ruined - I am not blaming you at all, actually thanking you for letting me know. My legs are totally scared like I have leprocy form those damned things and I can't even wear shorts because of the embarrassment. :mad:

How do I kill the Bermuda grass? I need to move back to AZ.
Have not a heavy heart. All you have to do is go get a small bag of dusting sulfur and put some in an old sock. Then whack the sock against your ankles and shoes and shazam no chiggers. They will not get on you. You can kill the chiggers with spinosad too although not instantly like pyrethrim does. It takes 2 years for the chigger scars to disappear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have chigger scars from 2009 (came to visit relatives in Elgin) - never went away. I had no idea what they were when they first happened and it nearly drome me mad. Must be something about Texas chiggers don't like Yankees. Heard that word way too many times.

I have a bottle of Lilly Miller Sulphur Dust (90% sulphur 10% inert). Will that work? Is this something I should start doing immediately?

You're really a good guy, Chuck. Most internet forums aren't as pleasant as you have made this one.

I read elsewhere to keep the grass short, to keep chiggers away - a week ago I read to keep it tall because its summer...

Also ordered some pyrethrim and will kill as many of those things as I possibly can.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have chigger scars from 2009 - never went away. I had no idea what they were when they first happened and it nearly drome me mad. Must be something about Texas chiggers don't like Yankees. Heard that word way too many times.

I have a bottle of Lilly Miller Sulphur Dust (90% sulphur 10% inert). Will that work? Is this something I should start doing immediately?

You're really a good guy, Chuck. Most internet forums aren't as pleasant as you have made this one.

I read elsewhere to keep the grass short too, to keep chiggers away - a week ago I read to keep it tall because its summer...
I have no idea what Lilly Miller Dust is but if it is 90% sulfur it will work. Just put it in a sock and dust it on you. I've been doing it for years and years and is the only thing that keeps them off. Sometimes I forget and regret it the next day. And yes mowing the grass short helps keep the numbers down. That is why I asked what kind of bermuda you have. If you got the seeds from Lowe's it is a type of common bermuda and the lowest it should be mowed is between 2 and 3 inches tall or it will scald out if mowed lower. If I would have known I would have told you where to get Tiff Bermuda seed which is mowed 1 1/2 at the highest. The higher the grass the worse the chiggers will be so keep your lawn mowed and sprayed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks again - I'll be making a sulfur sock here in about 10-minutes. I will shoot for getting the electric mower set to 2"

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Titan rX is a heat resistant fescue that is about 100 bucks for a 50 lb bag. I have dense shade areas that only get some morning or late afternoon sun and it is surviving there. I have a burmuda yard in the sun area. Burmuda and fescue both are high energy grasses. Lots to do, feeding, watering, antifungal, insecticides. Oh and lime here. Lots and lots of lime.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Titan rX is a heat resistant fescue that is about 100 bucks for a 50 lb bag. I have dense shade areas that only get some morning or late afternoon sun and it is surviving there. I have a burmuda yard in the sun area. Burmuda and fescue both are high energy grasses. Lots to do, feeding, watering, antifungal, insecticides. Oh and lime here. Lots and lots of lime.
Basically here, bermuda is the most maintainance free grass there is. Once it is established it is hard to keep it out of unwanted places and you don't have to water it very much to keep it alive. About the only insect it gets are chiggers and the only time it gets a fungus is when it is green. In the summers here it is just too hot and dry for most folks to bother with having a lush green lawn and they let it brown out. But if one wants to pay a large water bill it will maintain its green color. Fungus is only around lawn grasses here for a short period of time. One thing that people confuse about grasses and fungus here is the damage grubworms do. The damage looks just like what many fungi do. Small to large roundish dead spots appear during the late summer and fall months. It is assumed that a fungus is the culprit when in reality it is a grubworm eating the roots and killing it back in early spring.

Ask a Question