Alternative lawn for shade area

Reaction score
Country
United States
We bought a home last August and it has a decent size yard that's located in a very wooded, shady area. Most of the ground is just like natural forest floor weeds and stuff. It gets several hours of sunlight each day, but I think its too shady for most grasses to grow. I have two young kids so would like some sort of soft, attractive "lawn like" covering they can play in and will withstand moderate foot traffic. I was looking at some possible shade friendly lawn alternatives and came across the following:

1. Irish moss
  2. Blue star creeper
  3. miniature brass buttons
Anyone have any experience using any of these for that purpose or have any suggestions? We are located in north Georgia.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We bought a home last August and it has a decent size yard that's located in a very wooded, shady area. Most of the ground is just like natural forest floor weeds and stuff. It gets several hours of sunlight each day, but I think its too shady for most grasses to grow. I have two young kids so would like some sort of soft, attractive "lawn like" covering they can play in and will withstand moderate foot traffic. I was looking at some possible shade friendly lawn alternatives and came across the following:

1. Irish moss
  2. Blue star creeper
Anyone have any experience using any of these for that purpose or have any suggestions?
Please update your profile as to where you live and your hardiness zone. What grows in Florida probably doesn't grow in Oregon

Reaction score
Country
United States

1. Irish moss
  2. Blue star creeper
Anyone have any experience using any of these for that purpose or have any suggestions? We are located in north Georgia.
Blue star creeper would be a great alternative for grass. However, you must know that all the alternatives which you've mentioned require maintenance. Nevertheless, you can also consult a lawn maintenance professional to learn about variety of lawn alternatives.

Ask a Question