Dandelions take over!

Reaction score
Eeeek, my yard is starting to get over run with dandelions! They seem to be everywhere. Is there any way to get rid of them. I would be willing to use some kind of weed and feed stuff if needed, but I would love it if there is any all natural way of getting rid of those horrible little flowers. Please help!

Reaction score
When you say 'yard' - are they coming up in the cracks of a paved area or is it grassed? I've got a friend in Vermont & what she calls her yard is what I would know as a back garden.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
After a good rain try pulling the complete plant roots and all, pour a little vinegar on the plant to kill the weed but be careful to not get the vinegar on the other plants and there is always weed be gone to help get control of your weeds.

Reaction score
The dandelions are in my grass. I have used sprays for my sidewalks, and had good luck, but now I just need to get rid of them in the grass without killing it. I would pull them all out, but it would take a very long time! They seem to be taking over.

Reaction score
As far as I know, the dandelions that are coming up now are going to drop the seeds to produce the ones you will see by the end of the summer. Taking care of the spring ones goes a long way in prevention for the fall. I personally use a granular fertilizer and weed killer with just a small hand spreader after I water or it rains.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I go out and cut them or pull them down to there roots a spray vinegar on what is left .Less harm to the environment that way

Reaction score
If you know anyone who home brews and you haven't used any chemicals on them yet (for a few years), call them. They might be willing to get rid of them for you if there are enough to make a batch of dandelion wine or dandelion beer. The leaves are edible (I don't care much for them) if caught at the right time of year, also, so that might also be a potential way to get rid of them without chemicals.

Of course, both of those are labor intensive for someone, whether it's you or someone else, so might not be a good option for you.

Reaction score
It sounds like you have them all over, if that is the case I would use weed b gone otherwise it will take you forever. Next spring you can put down a pre emergent fertilizer that will take care the seeds.

Reaction score
I know that salt is good for killing weeds in cracks of pavement or cracks in the deck where some weeds can sneak up. As for the yard I would have to agree with the other posters, chemical might be your best bet.
I have never tried the vinegar idea though. Maybe that would work just as well!

Reaction score
I noticed here that there are more dandelions and other unfriendly weeds this year. I am not sure about weed and feed since we used that on a relative's yard 2 weeks ago and the weeds are out of control now :(

We have other weeds that are similar to dandelions only they are taller and have a lot more little yellow flowers on them. They turn to seeds just like the dandelion tho and the wind blows and your yard is infested with them! Never had them before but this year they are all over town.

Reaction score
If you know anyone who home brews and you haven't used any chemicals on them yet (for a few years), call them. They might be willing to get rid of them for you if there are enough to make a batch of dandelion wine or dandelion beer. The leaves are edible (I don't care much for them) if caught at the right time of year, also, so that might also be a potential way to get rid of them without chemicals.

I've been making some wine of my own lately, so this comment certainly perked my ears. I've never heard of dandelion wine! I will definitely look this up. Honestly, it doesn't sound too tasty, but I have no clue so I will do some more research. Thanks.

Reaction score
I've been making some wine of my own lately, so this comment certainly perked my ears. I've never heard of dandelion wine! I will definitely look this up. Honestly, it doesn't sound too tasty, but I have no clue so I will do some more research. Thanks.

It didn't sound that great to me, either, but a friend of mine swears by hers. The biggest problem, she says, is that it takes so many blossoms to make, and finding untreated places to harvest them is a trick. On the good side (for home brewers) dandelions are prolific. That's not so good for the person who has them taking over the lawn.

I did a quick Google for you and found this:
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/dandelion.asp
I can't say much for the professional look of the page, but it does offer a variety of recipes.

Ask a Question