Spraying the Dandelions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5a
Country
United States
My husband hates weeds. I don't mind them. I tend to just run over the dandelions with my lawn mower. The weeds that I can't stand are the prickly ones, which I will go ahead and pull by hand. I cannot stand when he sprays the dandelions with weed killer because I feel like it's not only going to get all over my garden and vegetables, but it will also get all over the grass where the kids play. What do you use for weeds? Is there a way to prevent them or at least kill them without poison?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
One gallon of horticultural vinegar (20%) plus 2 oz orange oil and a squirt of dishwashing soap will make them shrivel up and die quickly. Not letting the weeds go to seed by frequent mowing also stops them

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I use a tool to control the dandelions. Other weeds I hoe or cut down as required to eliminate seeds. It is a constant battle. Anything but spraying.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?YIJLU 6 May 2009 Weed Puller
This marvelous device is utilized for pulling weeds, mostly dandelions. It actually works and is effortless to use. Price $29.95. Don’t leave home without it. Beware of more complicated imitations. Home herbicides have been banned in my area so many weeds have to be pulled by hand.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I know its hard to change peoples' perception, but flowering weeds in our yards are actually highly important to insects, especially early-blooming ones. I always find irony in people trying to keep weeds out of their grass. I understand most don't realize how awful our turf grass yards are, but they contain nothing beneficial to the earth and its inhabitants. They replaced what used to be prairies and in some areas, forests. I always wonder why humans decided to do that. Seems a prairie as a backyard would be pretty amazing in comparison. but I'm just rambling now... Unfortunately, I don't have an answer. As long as I have turf grass, I leave the weeds be. At least they add a little bit of color and variety. Eventually, I hope to replace everything with native plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm not big into chemicals, and the only thing I use on my lawn is a pre-emergent in early spring, and late fall, mainly for crab grass. All other weeds will suffer the wrath of my lawnmower.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here in the sandhills of N.Carolina,the high end golf courses have beautiful grasses and highly educated people to maintain them,I live in a very rural area now,but when I lived in the older established neighborhoods,what they called grass was bermuda and centipede,and if you have ever had dealings with stolons (runners) to me that's nothing but a weed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't like using weed chemical either in my yard for the same reasons as you. I have children and dog and I want them to be as safe as possible. We have lots of lily of the valley, and I have to plug them by hands as they are poisonous to dog.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My sister once told me that a weed is any plant growing where you don't want it. Based on that, if you don't mind the dandelions, they are not weeds. I never thought of it that way before my sister enlightened me. I also leave the dandelions because I don't want to use chemicals and also because I don't like pulling them. We have learned to coexist.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I keep dandelions in the yard. They're good for the bee population. Dandelions in the flower bed on the other hand get pulled out.

Ask a Question