Crocus invasion

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Not much sympathy around here? I know a lot of people would love this, but obviously the original poster prefers a nice pristine lawn. Everyone to their own. They asked for some help to eradicate their problem, not what must feel like of a bunch of thinly veiled criticisms, though I'm sure not intended that way. That being said, have you tried a selective weedkiller for lawns? Obviously digging them up is not really practical and would pretty much destroy the lawn. Are they just spreading in clumps by bulb propagation or is it a seed problem? If so, perhaps you should try removing the spent blooms before they seed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
In my garden there is an unusual problem - a real invasion of crocuses and there are more and more of them every year. I really like crocuses in flowerbeds, but now they are already halfway on the lawn. Has anyone encountered a similar problem? Please advise how to control them?
what you can do is put an ad in the paper for people to come dig and get free crocus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
My friend Jerry not only has various shades of purple crocuses in the back garden but also in the lawn.

AlTerra

Practice makes perfect
Reaction score
Country
Poland
Not much sympathy around here? I know a lot of people would love this, but obviously the original poster prefers a nice pristine lawn. Everyone to their own. They asked for some help to eradicate their problem, not what must feel like of a bunch of thinly veiled criticisms, though I'm sure not intended that way. That being said, have you tried a selective weedkiller for lawns? Obviously digging them up is not really practical and would pretty much destroy the lawn. Are they just spreading in clumps by bulb propagation or is it a seed problem? If so, perhaps you should try removing the spent blooms before they seed.

Thank you for the suggestion. My crocuses are wild and pretty common, they have never been planted or propagated, so I think it's a seed problem. I just would like to control how much they spread, but I haven't tried anything yet.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree. Crocus in a lawn is a wonderful sight. Really the more a lawn can look like a meadow the better.

Also Crocus bloom early enough, that mowing shouldn't be an issue, at least not in colder climates.

Of course, the leaves persist longer and do feed the bulb for continued display, but the leaves resemble grass and to a certain extent can be mowed like grass. Set the mower high and don't worry.

Ask a Question