how to handle crocus and other bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I bought my house about 4 months ago and now with spring here I've got random bulbs growing everywhere. One variety is the crocus like the ones on my profile pic. I'd like to relocate them for next spring. I dug one up and there are hair like roots on them. When its time, do i cut away these roots from the bulb or leave as many on as possible. thank you I've never dealt with bulbs before.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Jeff, let the foliage turn yellow (means the leaves have done their duty in getting nutrients back to the bulb) and then dig. You can replant immediately, or store them in a dark spot like a cellar under sawdust or fine mulch until fall (in your area that would be September, I think).
Don't worry about the roots--if you store the bulbs they will dry and fall off, leaving short rootlets, like you see on grocery onions. If you replant immediately, the roots will take care of themselves. The beauty of bulbs is that the nutrients and flowers for the next year are stored in the bulb. When the leaves start to come up next spring, a light fertilizing wouldn't hurt.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
keep all you can intact, the green and everything on the bulb and move to another hole of same depth.

Just wondering how many your talking about. Me I just leave them. and would just get a fresh bag for the fall to plant. I love surprises .

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd say 20-30 crocus, 10-20 tulips, 15-20 day lilies. problem is that some of them are randomly in the middle of the yard. I guess there used to be a fence on a portion of the yard where in the corners of the fence there were flowers. Now that the fence is gone it looks silly. The crocus look like they were spread out by the squirrels. My plan is to put a cottage flower garden in front of the house and consolidate these bulbs into something more creative.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
the crocus could be self seeders, meaning you'd get more every year as they spread. I would move the tulips and day lilies, but leave the crocus. the squirrels don't spread the crocus, their seeds fly out by themselves . I have thousands of crocus in my front yard, just letting them do their thing. If you look at the cost of a bag of new crocus versus your time cost digging them up etc . it is cheaper to buy the bag, just saying.

Ask a Question