Crocus invasion

AlTerra

Practice makes perfect
Reaction score
Country
Poland
In my garden there is an unusual problem - a real invasion of crocuses and there are more and more of them every year. I really like crocuses in flowerbeds, but now they are already halfway on the lawn. Has anyone encountered a similar problem? Please advise how to control them?

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
In my garden there is an unusual problem - a real invasion of crocuses and there are more and more of them every year. I really like crocuses in flowerbeds, but now they are already halfway on the lawn. Has anyone encountered a similar problem? Please advise how to control them?
I've got a few that's drifted in the lawn but i leave them there but they don't spread much, hubby mows around them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We have the same problems with bluebells, they are "everywhere" in the beds.
We did have a problem with our lily of the valley starting to encroach onto the lawn. But with the frequency that I mow, the problem seemed to go away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
WHY? what an awesome problem. Love it.

My neighbor next door had put in a bunch of them few years back they are drifting to our lawn, LOVE IT.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The vision of crocus naturalised in a lawn is one of the most welcoming signs of Spring. I cannot fathom why anyone could call this a nuisance.
1616183497196.png
1616183589301.png
Lovely :joyful:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wow is that yours Tetters?
How I wish it was mine. It would take a while to achieve that lovely display, and this place has been a camping site for about 40 years - I have only just started to garden it properly. So much prettier with naturalised bulbs instead of plain old grass !!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
How I wish it was mine. It would take a while to achieve that lovely display, and this place has been a camping site for about 40 years - I have only just started to garden it properly. So much prettier with naturalised bulbs instead of plain old grass !!
Yes i wish that I could do that with ours but hubby wouldn't like it, he says that he wouldn't be able to mow it properly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Yes i wish that I could do that with ours but hubby wouldn't like it, he says that he wouldn't be able to mow it properly.
Mow? I don't mow my lawn till maybe June. I have some blue bulbs that are still to come up. But, if you plant the very early crocus they would arrive before you need to mow the lawn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Hubby mowed ours a couple of weeks ago.
The crocuses are still in flower here and have to let the leaves die down.
Wow, already mowed. guess I am lucky here. we don't until June maybe mid May ---(maybe). a shaded property has slower growing grass, or different grass is planted in a shaded property.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seems early to me, I am waiting to spread lawn sand, big moss problem, and it needs to be mowed three days before "In the growing season, April to September", it says on the bag.
I would have thought persistent mowing would deal with the crocus if you don't want them, most herbicides aimed at grass depend on the leaf shape to slide off grass and stay on weeds, so probably wouldn't work. You could try going round with a jar of roundup with a tiny bit of wallpaper paste in it and applying with a small paintbrush, like I do for dandelions. The paste stops it dripping where you don't want it, but it is a bit tedious.

Ask a Question