Crocuses

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
This photo is from a couple of months ago but I was really happy with it. Crocuses are a favourite of mine, I always look forward to them coming up.

Attachments

• IMG_3925 7elves.jpg
    IMG_3925 7elves.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 322
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
And some of the photos that didn't turn out so well. If you didn't realize the first has been edited!

Attachments

• IMG_3926.JPG
    IMG_3926.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_3930.JPG
    IMG_3930.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 285
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
All those pictures are lovely:) I like crocuses very much too. They come in so many pretty colors! Seeing them always puts me in a spring mood.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very nice pictures. Crocuses are one of the first plants to bloom in the spring to let you know winter is over. We had a few in the yard which did not come up this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
Really lovely. Are they bulbs that have to be dug up or can they just be left in the ground?

Very low maintenance. They have been in the ground for at least 10 years and come up every year without fail.

All those pictures are lovely:) I like crocuses very much too. They come in so many pretty colors! Seeing them always puts me in a spring mood.

Very nice pictures. Crocuses are one of the first plants to bloom in the spring to let you know winter is over. We had a few in the yard which did not come up this year.

Thankyou :) Yes they are great! I like to think of them as natures antidepressant after the dark muddy days start to finally come to an end.

Thats a shame that yours did not come up :( I hope they decide to show up next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh those are really great photos, @Scarlet, I like the first one the best actually.
I really must remember to put in some early-blooming bulbs this fall. Crocus and daffodils come to mind. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I'm thrilled to bits!!!. :LOL:
A friend dropped in the other day with a bag of crocus bulbs for me!!!:) What a friend. I've planted them under my lemon tree and lime tree and also under a small maple which is in the central raised section of my rock wall garden. I'm hoping I won't dig them up accidentally by planting them in these spots which I have done before with bulbs. :eek:
I was also wondering Scarlet if they needed to be dug up but this friend leaves them in a big pot and not only have they multiplied to fill the pot but come up each year looking magnificent! I'm very excited!!!:ROFLMAO::LOL::D

Reaction score
Beautiful, I had already seen those flowers before, but I had no idea what they were called. Purple has always been my favorite color :) Really beautiful, thanks for sharing this bit of your garden! Do you think these can be grown indoors in pots?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are so beautiful! I love crocuses and snowdrops, but have none for myself. There are some flowers that wouldn't bloom for the type of soil that I have, so I do enjoy looking at other people's flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Really lovely. Are they bulbs that have to be dug up or can they just be left in the ground?
I see no one answered you Deborah. You leave these in the ground. And if you select the type that are called "naturalizers" then you will have more every year as they pop babies everywhere. I have thousands of these on my property. Several bulbs do pop more babies, to me that is a money saver to buy those type.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I see no one answered you Deborah. You leave these in the ground. And if you select the type that are called "naturalizers" then you will have more every year as they pop babies everywhere. I have thousands of these on my property. Several bulbs do pop more babies, to me that is a money saver to buy those type.

;)Thanks Esther. I'm really looking forward to seeing my crocuses pop up and multiply. I'll remember the term "naturalizer" next time I'm bulb shopping. Thanks for the helpful inforamtion! It is a great forum! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Deborahjane, other bulbs are naturalizers, such as daffs and some alliums and several others just read about them first. I set up my bulbs so that some is coming up every month, early in the month, middle, late etc and so on.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Wow! I'll have to do some serious study. I do joke about the fact that I'm studying my Masters in Gardening at the University in my Head and I have to repeat Hanging Baskets as I failed miserably. Maybe I'll do my thesis on bulbs popping up in sequence. That will keep me busy.:geek: I may have to use you as my main reference in my bibliography.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Just as an example, I have a grouping of daffs that bloom the exact time my star magnolia blooms.
To achieve a sequence of bloom you have to avoid the visual/heart first and use your head. During my blooming season I take inventory, of what times are my gaps and then find the ones that fill that gap of time. My original planting were in sequence. Ahh and then there is color and height to consider, and what else is around it when it blooms. As I like things to compliment each other. A early plant and late blooming group of bulbs for example. In one area my daffs die back enough so the green is hidden under the large leaves of the hostas.

Ask a Question