Crocus Lawn

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Traveling, I noticed this wonderful lawn full purple crocus. This takes years to achieve, and beyond this lawn, they are spitting out on the adjacent lawns. One need to put thousands of these bulbs in and then wait for this natural look. But it is a shame the noise of the traffic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Beautiful Esther, can the crocus survive foot traffic? People now are coming up with some clever alternatives to grass. I've seen a huge lawn of grass replaced by moss, and wooly thyme (low growing, and fragrant) lawns, and now crocus lawns. I suppose the possibilities are endless. I sure wish i could grow the wooly thyme in my climate, but that's not going to happen. Still there will be some tropical alternatives. I am experimenting with Dichondra now which volunteered itself to my garden just this year. It is not aggressive, but little by little, it is taking hold and growing quite well so just maybe, i have found my perfect ground cover. Thanks for the video. I enjoyed it.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh my goodness, that's beautiful! :love:

Got a few crocuses growing on our street but they were badly affected by the recent storm we had :(

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They don't like the wind :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Crocus cannot survive foot traffic. This is a top example of how to use this type of crocus. If you notice they have lots of trees, like I do, imagine in the fall they are diligently getting up all the leaves know that the flowers will be coming up in the spring. Both neighboring houses are also getting drifts of them on their lawns. My own neighbor to the right of me planted this type, and some are making their way to my front lawn. Perhaps this is what bulb I will get this fall. Remember folks it this "type" of crocus, not all do this.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This is a top example of how to use this type of crocus. (...snip...) Both neighboring houses are also getting drifts of them (...snip...) Remember folks it this "type" of crocus, not all do this.

I assume they are spreading by seed? (I've never heard of crocus spreading by seed! :confused: )

Please tell me, what type of crocus is it? I'll probably have to order them online - I have never seen any type of crocus for sale in my area. I was told by one nursery that the demand just isn't high enough. :( Maybe because people just quit asking. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I assume they are spreading by seed? (I've never heard of crocus spreading by seed! :confused: )

Please tell me, what type of crocus is it? I'll probably have to order them online - I have never seen any type of crocus for sale in my area. I was told by one nursery that the demand just isn't high enough. :( Maybe because people just quit asking. :rolleyes:
truly do not know the exact name of the bulb. . but you do buy bulbs of them initially, like couple thousand and plant them in the fall. then the next spring when they bloom they send their seed out and start more drifts of babies. etc. Yes you could plant 5,000 bulbs initially, depends on how much you have to cover, but the natural drift just is not the same as the human planting. In looking for the bulb the description is that they are naturalisers etc. When you do start these you have to respect to NOT to mow the lawn in the early spring until all them have had time to drift in the wind and anchor themselves. And if you have a wooded property, you have to rake up all the leaves knowing that in the spring they need to appear, as these folks do.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Naturalisers, thank you!! :)

Yes you could plant 5,000 bulbs initially,
:eek: o_O I like their yard, but I like the way it looks more in the places where the flowers are a little spotty. I'd probably buy 100 and plant them in 15-20 little groupings of 5 or 6.(y)

I have a very small front yard, and besides, I'm renting here, so 5000 bulbs is not going to happen.;)

When you do start these you have to respect to NOT to mow the lawn in the early spring until all them have had time to drift in the wind and anchor themselves
I hate mowing, that job belongs to my bitter half, but I don't think it would be a problem!! I'll have to pay attention this year as to when he starts, but I'm pretty sure it's not until the end of April, beginning of May. :)

Ask a Question