Cooking with garden produce

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I didn't see another thread like their anywhere else, so I apologize if it's a double, but I would like to share.

I was making some creamy broccoli Tuna Helper and I decided to add some broccoli from my garden to the tuna helper, since it's always more "creamy" than "broccoli"

IMG_20230801_205419.jpg

After adding the broccoli it looked and smelled so delicious that I almost forgot to add in the tuna, haha

I'd like to hear about dishes the rest of you have cooked with produce from your garden!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I grow red, white, black and pink currants, also gooseberry and rhubarb that i make a mixed fruit compote. Also i do summer pudding with the red currant and gooseberries.
I grow cooking apples that i make apple and rhubarb crumble. I grow blueberries that we have on our porridge along with other fruits.
I grow thornless blackberry that we put on porridge or add with the other fruits.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
this time of year I often have tomatoes on toast for breakfast, if I don't I usually have it for second breakfast, with plenty of pepper.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
One with a shell one without as far as I'm concerned.

Ever do mudbugs?

I like the big juicy sails, the small ones are okay I guess for spreading on garlic toast. But I've never eaten a garden slug.. a few beer and someone else cooking I'd give it a blunt lol.

Mudbugs, is that crawfish? If so it's on my bucket list to go to Louisiana for a snack of the real McCoy!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Making some pasta sauce. I didn't count but lots of jalapenos and other peppers, tomatoes (I like skin on), garlic, chives, a little dill all from the garden. Also added some other herbs, spices and stuff I had kicking around. Been simmering it for a few hours to reduce and just need to make the pasta now. Oh, and a pound or two of beef burger and Worcester sauce... No meat no eat lol.

PXL_20230806_194657698.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sounds more like chilli.

Mudbugs are crayfish, crawdads and other names. While associated with the delta region, you probably can find them closer to home. They live in slow moving waters. I catch them a couple miles away in the Cuyahoga River, the clean part.

Come to think of it, your concoction would make a good crawdad boil.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Sounds more like chilli.

Mudbugs are crayfish, crawdads and other names. While associated with the delta region, you probably can find them closer to home. They live in slow moving waters. I catch them a couple miles away in the Cuyahoga River, the clean part.

Come to think of it, your concoction would make a good crawdad boil.

It's Heinz 57, a bit of everything I just throw together and toss on pasta lol, I don't follow a recipe or anything.

Yes, lots of freshwater crayfish here. I have eaten them but mostly use them for fishing bass. I don't think it's anything like the boiled hot spicy goodness I watch in videos from Louisiana. I don't think there is anything around here that hops, swims, skips, digs, crawls, flies, jumps, or exists that I haven't eaten at least once lol.. literally.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The only things I’ve cooked with from the garden so far is with herbs and bush beans (green, purple, and wax). I’ve made plenty of salads with various lettuces, cucumbers, carrots, radishes, and tomatoes, though.

Soon I should be able to start making stuffed peppers. I had a few cabbage and broccoli plants going, but they got decimated by cabbage worms. I have some bok choy doing well at the moment, and some new brocs that I keep in my greenhouse, so fingers crossed on those!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The only things I’ve cooked with from the garden so far is with herbs and bush beans (green, purple, and wax). I’ve made plenty of salads with various lettuces, cucumbers, carrots, radishes, and tomatoes, though.

Soon I should be able to start making stuffed peppers. I had a few cabbage and broccoli plants going, but they got decimated by cabbage worms. I have some bok choy doing well at the moment, and some new brocs that I keep in my greenhouse, so fingers crossed on those!
All those things sound delicious! More then I got going on in my garden. Do you enjoy cooking/baking? It's probably my favorite part of gardening, turning everything into food. I try to think out of the box when it comes to the usual and put a twist on it.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Cooked some tagliatelle pasta to use for the leftover pasta meat sauce and a fresh tomato just picked. Also added some habanero sauce to give the jalapenos a bit more kick, it wasn't spicy enough for me. Used some Japanese chop sticks, haven't used any in a while.

PXL_20230807_221420182~2.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
All those things sound delicious! More then I got going on in my garden. Do you enjoy cooking/baking? It's probably my favorite part of gardening, turning everything into food. I try to think out of the box when it comes to the usual and put a twist on it.

I’ve been getting more into cooking and baking this year, and while I enjoy it, I also don’t lol. I started gardening once the cost of food shot way up, and it forces me to be outdoors and eat healthier (though I still get skeeved out over bugs on my plants lol especially slugs. F those things).

Last year I planted 3 pear trees (2 Asian and 1 moon glow), which started my backyard transformation lol. This year I planted 2 more trees (honey crisp and William pride I think), 2 grape vines, then the veggies started. This is my first year growing, and it’s been a cool experience.

I mainly want to grow things you don’t typically see in the stores, though I do have a lot of common staples as well.

My list this year is:

Various lettuces (buttercrisp, cimaroon, oak leaf, etc), about 25 planted this year so far, have about 8 or so growing now, getting ready to plant another 9. I lost some to the wild rabbits that live in the tree line.

popcorn (which is doing really good), about 25-30 stalks, most have started developing 1+ cobs, a few are stunted / slow growers. The silks are turning from a reddish/purple to brown, so I think that means they’re pollinated.

jarahdale pumpkins (the first female bud popped out this week, so I hope she gets pollinated), planted 3 plants, and they’re really starting to take off now.

spaghetti squash - planted 3 plants and trained them up a trellis. Currently have 5 squashes growing with another 3-4 female buds that I’m not sure if they’re pollinated or not. These plants exploded and I had to reinforce their trellis this evening as it was leaning 45 degrees over. I suspect it’s from the rain and weight of the plant/leaves, as only 1 squash is off the ground, and it was on the other side.

kaleidoscope carrots - harvested about 10 or so of them so far. These seeds were kind of spotty. I have another batch going now, and still a few from the first batch.

Swiss rainbow chard, yellow/red/green. I have probably 6 or so of these spread out through the garden.

Cherry tomatoes - 14 super sweet 100’s, one mystery one off amazon (they’re bigger than a cherry but not the size of a regular tomato; somewhere in between, also yellow), and 2 sun golds. I definitely underestimated how these things grow and boy did they explode and take over. One is 9ft tall and is basically a tree, the rest are over 6 feet tall and bushes out a ton. I can pick 2 dozen tomatoes daily at this point.

cucumbers (lemon, Boston pickling, tender green, macklemore 76, and Armenian). The first round of plants seem to be deciding between dying off and producing new cucumbers. Being the rookie that I am, I planted 3 plants in 5 gallon grow bags, for a total of 12. In the raised bed, I planted another 8, and then I just planted another pair of Armenians in their own 5 gallon pots. So far I’ve probably taken 8 lemon cucumbers so far (there’s 5 more growing on them now), and another dozen off the rest. There’s currently 7-8 growing on the 5 gallon plants, and another 5 in the raised bed.

beans (green, purple, wax, dragon tongue). In the raised bed, I have 24 bean plants (8 each of the green, purple, and wax), so I pretty much have endless beans right now. The dragon tongues are still growing, but I have 6 of them spread out.

Peppers - California wonder, bell (orange, red, yellow, green), sweet cubanelle, chocolate, purple bell, cayenne (3), sugar drop orange (3). I have a total of 30 pepper plants, all at varying stages. Right now I have a handful of bells (yellow and orange), cubanelles, and lots of sugar drop orange.

Like berries: basically mini strawberries. I have a handful planted in a window planter and I’m getting a handful or so a week off of them. Was hoping for white and yellow, but seems all I got was red.

Snap peas: have 8 plants going currently.

Honeydew - 2 plants going

Cantaloupe - 2 plants going

The honeydew and cantaloupe may not have enough time. I planted them a few weeks ago, and while they’re flowering, I’m not seeing any female buds. We really only have a month and a half of really warm weather before fall temps arrive (frost date is around October 10th). We’ll see, though.

Watermelons: 2 tender sweet plants going (with 3 growing on the vines currently), and one crimson red, with 2 growing on it (well, I think they’re pollinated anyway, the other 3 are the size of golf balls now).

Bok choy - 3 plants that are doing good so far.

Broccoli - 8 going, 6 have been hit bad by cabbage moths, 2 are in the greenhouse.

And then tons of herbs and spices (basil, thyme, sage, rosemary, oregano, parsley, savory, dill, cilantro). Been drying them out and making my own spice jars.

So, back on topic lol I’ve made tons of salad this year, and I’m always harvesting spices to toss in my dehydrator and to use on various dishes. Baked chicken with garden fresh green onions and herbs and spices just taste so much better. Meatballs and burgers are a delight with them as well.

Ask a Question