Christmas Baking or cooking. 2022

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
First of my Christmas bakes. Apple walnut cranberry bread.
20221217_111622.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That looks good, my missus has been putting marzipan on the Christmas cake prior to icing it. She made it months ago, along with the Christmas puddings. and has been 'feeding' it with alcohol in the bottom. She makes several puddings so our two girls get one, and we usually finish off the last one at Easter.
Being a veggie she usually makes a steamed mushroom timbal with cashew nuts for main Christmas day. People are horrified when they hear it is steamed, not roast, but it is actually very, very good. This year we are going to the younger daughter's so I am not sure what we will get.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Yep, @Oliver Buckle , I know from being on cooking forum that the UK folks start months in advance for Christmas. We have Thanksgiving to worry about first. Many of us don't start to bake until first of December. Sometime I have raw cookie dough in the freezer in October. Or I might have a start of a soup in the freezer in October --but that would be for Thanksgiving. For Christmas dinner this year I am doing some thick pork chops brined in a juniper berry, pepper, bayleaf combo. Debating on what for Christmas Eve. so made dinner reservations.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I am brining some thick pork chops for Christmas Day dinner. Using juniper berries, bay leaf, sugar and salt. says 3 days. We shall see what happens. My trusty black iron skillet will brown them and then in the oven for a bit. still debating sides. But just the two of us. We are going out for dinner on Christmas Eve.

What are all you planning to have for Christmas Day or Christmas Eve.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Home today, the two of us. The day before yesterday spent the day with older daughter, tomorrow we go and spend Christmas day with younger daughter and come back Boxing day. I believe they are having a turkey crown and we shall have a nut roast, but I expect there will be something 'special' about it.
Daughter has promised me an hour to sort my YouTube channel, I am in the process of putting up my long story, recorded three chapters together, then put them on in the wrong order. Also missed the five off chapter fifteen's title. I am not really advertising it until it is all there. I get one or two hits every time I put up a new chapter, so I think someone is following already, but I am not worrying until it is complete.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Oliver Buckle , I do enjoy your story telling. thanks for doing all that.
Thank you for that, feedback is not that common.

We edited the chapter with the missing number in the title. but I am going to leave the rest until the story is finished, then we can make a playlist out of it so it can be listened to as a continuous piece.

Had a really good Christmas day, the nut roast had chestnuts and cranberry in it, and all the traditional veg with it. This morning we had a really good bubble and squeak with the leftovers. Plus, of course the Missus took her Christmas cake and Christmas pudding.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
For us, Thanksgiving is Turkey and Christmas is Prime Rib Roast. The various family members take it in turns to host. I have done Christmas Pudding and Mince Pies with Brandy or Rum Butter occasionally, but they are not typically popular (or even heard off!) here in the USA. We always have Pumpkin Pie though, on both occasions. Corinne makes the best Pumpkin Pie.

People here often say "Oh, you mean Figgy pudding?" No, I don't mean Figgy Pudding! That's something completely different - gee thanks Mr. Dickens....

Incidentally, I do a lot of Sourdough Breads these days and we hardly ever buy bread anymore. Also do Bagels and Focaccia with it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Incidentally, I do a lot of Sourdough Breads these days and we hardly ever buy bread anymore
A breadmaker was one of our best ever kitchen buys, we hardly ever buy bread, maybe a stick for garlic bread sometime. Just bung everything in and forget it for three hours and there is lovely wholemeal bread with no additives at about half the normal price, everyday magic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
A breadmaker was one of our best ever kitchen buys, we hardly ever buy bread, maybe a stick for garlic bread sometime. Just bung everything in and forget it for three hours and there is lovely wholemeal bread with no additives at about half the normal price, everyday magic.
had considered, but, too easy to make, and then too easy to put in my mouth and then goes the hips. so decided NOPE. I make from scratch when I do.

@cntrlwagdnr --have looked at the sourdough process, it is interesting. But in general we don't eat much bread here. My skinny husband rarely has a slice. He makes sandwiches a few days a week. No bread at dinner. And heavens knows I do not need for my hips. I have Amish about me for homemade bread, and an awesome Organic store for good bread. So for the amount its cheaper to buy than make.

Ask a Question