Cooking/ baking

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody done any cooking or baking lately.
This morning made jam tarts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cor, they look yummy! It's been ages since I've made jam tarts. I've been trying my hand at sourdough bread recently and I'm quite enjoying it. I've been making the starter with wholemeal rye flour, and I use 80% white strong wheat flour and 20% white rye flour in my loaf. Here's a recent one:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Becky that looks great, never made sourdough. I've made ordinary white bread that was alright and I've tried wholemeal, but didn't turn out well it was very dense and didn't rise very well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Becky that looks great, never made sourdough. I've made ordinary white bread that was alright and I've tried wholemeal, but didn't turn out well it was very dense and didn't rise very well.

Thanks, Logan :) Weirdly I've had far more success making sourdough than regular bread - I had the same problems as you, it was always too dense. I think the thing that's good about this recipe is you mostly leave it alone and let time do the work for you.

Here it is if you're interested: https://www.ilovecooking.ie/recipe/sourdough-bread/

I've had my starter on the go since November/December, and the flavour has really improved recently. I think it just takes time to develop.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
It's been warm out, so I've been outside prepping gardens and generally playing in the dirt. Today it's turning colder, so I'll have this afternoon in the kitchen making pumpkin bread, and tomorrow will be French rolls and baguettes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yum, sounds delicious @marlingardener! :D I've never tried making baguettes before, I'd like to give it a try one day.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No baking going on here but I did learn today that you can microwave fish fingers! (Who knew?) Ok, so they don't crisp but when the urge for a fish finger butty strikes, its not the worst back up LOL
Logan, your jam tarts look just the ticket; Becky, that sourdough loaf is just begging for some butter and marmite (after toasting first of course).

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
They look great @nitram
I've got some strong flour and yeast just in case i have to make our own after March because of this Brexit, might go short of foods. But i don't think that it will come to that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cor they're lovely looking loaves @nitram! :D

They look great @nitram
I've got some strong flour and yeast just in case i have to make our own after March because of this Brexit, might go short of foods. But i don't think that it will come to that.

Thank you it was the first time i had tried Retarding bread https://www.thespruceeats.com/retarding-427620 the loaf on the right was baked straight out of the fridge the one to the left was brought back to room temp both loafs tasted the same but the one brought back to room temp was more fluffy inside.

Ask a Question