Comeback of Ancient Farming Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How ''ancient'' should our history be noted when it comes to ''Comeback pf Ancient Farming'' ??
It does all depend on the temperatures on our planet. I have been reading from The New Scientist, and it's so interesting. Compelling reading for anyone with a spare half hour tea break under our present circumstances I think.
Just a small clipping here:- from History of Ice on earth

Plants invade the land​

360 to 260 million years ago

Like the Cryogenian glaciation, the Karoo ice age featured two peaks in ice cover that may well have been distinct ice ages. They took place in the Mississipian period, 359 to 318 million years ago, and again in the Pennsylvanian 318 to 299 million years ago.

These ice ages may have been the result of the expansion of land plants that followed the Cryogenian. As plants spread over the planet, they absorbed CO2 from the atmosphere and released oxygen (PDF). As a result CO2 levels fell and the greenhouse effect weakened, triggering an ice age.

There is some evidence that the ice came and went in regular cycles, driven by changes in Earth’s orbit. If true, this would mean that the Karoo ice age operated in much the same way as the current one.
-ooooooo-

We appear to be in the process of coming out of the current ice age then, and what is happening by closing farms, and cutting down millions of trees will not produce the oxygen we need. Plant survival then depends on lots of us to keep breathing CO2 for them, while those we still have left will be working their socks off trying to keep us alive. SO how can we believe the LIE we are being fed about the climate? This is just an umbrella for all the other lies to be put into operation, and is harming our welfare. It will end in Mass Extinction, and when that occurs it will surely take with it all the greedy short sighted idiots who are engineering it ?

Please tell me where my findings are wrong.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
If we had been taught this kind of information at school, it may have been a lot more useful than some of the other stuff we had shoved at us. I would have liked to have learned more about subjects like geology and the very old history of the planet. Much of this has been pointed out to me recently by Zigs, who, through childhood illness, missed much school life, and took to reading in a big way, so it seems. This is where his vast knowledge on this subject comes from, and has helped me enormously on some of my own research. It is a far - very far removed situation with today's children, who among other things are taught immorality at a very young age.
I do have to admit @headfullofbees , those calculations leave me dazed o_O
Doctor Who is to have a Drag Queen.
It's time to stop funding the BBC.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Even without the Doctor Who emasculation, I stopped funding the BBC a few years ago - come on, keep up!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I think it's far too complex for anyone to say for sure what is going on. What I think I can say for sure is:

1. We don't know where the climate is headed or how fast - we can only speculate.
2. We don't know how our actions are impacting things - are we accelerating the change - or slowing it down?
3. We don't have a way of measuring the impact of any changes we make - we can't prove that our efforts are moving things in the right direction.

Given all of the above, the sane thing to do is to focus efforts on what we know will help - so for example, energy and food production to help us deal with whatever the future brings.

As for the BBC - I think in Scotland we're luckier than the rest of you. If we don't pay our tv license no one will challenge it. We haven't paid for one for years - but legitimately so as we don't watch any tv. Our decision has never been challenged or questioned.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My brother simply did not have tiime for TV and didn't own one, the licensing authority sent him a summons, they didn't believe that anyone living in North London with a teenage child (She is coming up 60 now) did not watch TV.
My experience of not having one was that every time someone heard they offered me the spare one they had in the loft/garage/spare room, etc. Bloody TV mad this culture.
Your 1,2,3, list made me think of, "There are things we do know that we don't know and then there are things that we don't know that we don't know". I always feel sorry for that guy, known unknowns and unknown unknowns sounds stupid, but it is actually quite sensible.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
My brother simply did not have tiime for TV and didn't own one, the licensing authority sent him a summons, they didn't believe that anyone living in North London with a teenage child (She is coming up 60 now) did not watch TV.
My experience of not having one was that every time someone heard they offered me the spare one they had in the loft/garage/spare room, etc. Bloody TV mad this culture.
Your 1,2,3, list made me think of, "There are things we do know that we don't know and then there are things that we don't know that we don't know". I always feel sorry for that guy, known unknowns and unknown unknowns sounds stupid, but it is actually quite sensible.
Most sensible thing that the war-criminal Rumsfeld ever said.

Twigs

Nature Hobbyist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone8
Country
United States
Cover cropping is valuable.
Alarmist anthropogenic climate change is a hoax.
Cover cropping is valuable. Climate change is real...unfortunately, it is the continued cutting out of soft natural life (cooler surfaces and shade) and the replacement of stone, asphalt, and concrete which stores heat and amplifies the lingering affects of temperature. ...and Yes, smoke and other particulates in the air do not help.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have to admit, this discussion has taken a turn I didn't expect. Nice to see some sensibility on climate.

My opinion, yes the climate is changing, always has always will.

Mankind has had an effect, population growth, deforestation and fossil fuels are throwing off the balance. BUT to what degree?

I'd wager the giant nuclear explosion in the sky has a bigger effect than Mankind.

Being a good steward of the planet just makes sense. Reduce reuse recycle is easy. Being careful about what chemicals one uses and how they're disposed is smart.

The current lunacy about all electric this and efficient that is really picking up pennies while dollars fly by. Until batteries can be made environmentally safe, the prospects are dim.
My betters have been telling me we're all gonna die ! My entire life. First I was going to freeze, then drown of get baked alive. None of which has happened.

To me they're either lying, stupid or both.

I do my part by rehabbing vehicles. Typically used up farm trucks, I buy them, fix them up and get another 5 to 10 years of use. Then I part them out for the next rehabbing.

To relate this to gardening, when I started, I was reliant on fertilizer. I've turned more towards the organic side with better results. I still use some chemicals, Savin dust primarily, some Epson salt and still occasionally Miracle-Gro. But that has as much to do with being cheap as anything else. I have ready access to lawn clippings and dead leaves to put into my soil. And it's free!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I think we are in agreement that it's good to look after resources, keep pollution to a minimum and recycle as much as possible.

And yes, we don't know exactly what effect our actions will have on future temperatures but if the planet keeps up it's past record of climate then we had better hope that our actions warm it.

We can put up with warm.

It might mean that some areas get too hot to live and grow things in, but we're already well adapted to living in desert conditions, look at Africa and the Gulf States.

We can't put up with cold.

In the last ice age the tree line was as far South as Northern Spain. North of that was Tundra and Permafrost. That doesn't leave much habitable land to fit 8 billion people in and grow all our food.

In ice ages before that the ice sheets very nearly met at the Equator....

They don't teach Geology in Secondary school anymore, my generation was probably the last lot to do it at O level. The planet has been frozen in the past, for millions and millions and millions of years at a time.

We are just lucky to be living in a warm period.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, not sure if I mentioned that CO2 has gone up since the last (or present) ice age, by 130 parts per million.

That's 0.013%

To picture that percentage, picture 100 litre bottles, 0.013% of 100 litres is just over 2 teaspoons.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think we are in agreement that it's good to look after resources, keep pollution to a minimum and recycle as much as possible.
Have you seen the slogan, 'There is no such place as Away', when you throw things there they never quite go far enough.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Have you seen the slogan, 'There is no such place as Away', when you throw things there they never quite go far enough.

That's a good one Oliver :)

Reminds me of a coconut shell that kept re appearing in the compost heap year after year :D

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seems to me that there is a big scam going on coming from those on our planet who feel they are rather superior. So much has to do with control of populations and the making of personal wealth. We are all important, and so are the bees and other insects, animals and birds. Farming is discouraged nowadays and our freedom is being threatened. There is much to worry about and repel.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mango stones, if the climate ever turns hot around here there will be mango trees growing out of every compost heap :)
Bring it on Oliver, and if you manage to grow lots and lots of lovely mangoes, you can be my friend if you like :sneaky:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question