Your ancient Kent relatives

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have proper chalk here in Kent. What do you mean by ex-chalk??

There were some dinosaur footprints found just down the road - it was in the Kent news yesterday (or the day before) They were found in rocks at Folkestone (y) just a mile or so from the famous white cliffs of Dover....they are proper chalk too :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We have proper chalk here in Kent. What do you mean by ex-chalk??

There were some dinosaur footprints found just down the road - it was in the Kent news yesterday (or the day before) They were found in rocks at Folkestone (y) just a mile or so from the famous white cliffs of Dover....they are proper chalk too :rolleyes:
Thats the ones! I thought chalk would be soft. Too soft to transmit footprints across the ages. Is it not a harder form of limestone where the prints are now?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thats the ones! I thought chalk would be soft. Too soft to transmit footprints across the ages. Is it not a harder form of limestone where the prints are now?

Looks like the footprints have been found in the sandstone which is next to the chalk. The article is on the national news as I type.

The chalk is a soft limestone, not quite hard enough to build with, but does have some fossils in it. I've found oysters and sea urchins and sometimes pyrites nodules that have replaced organic materials.

The news article showed a 3 toed footprint that they found while filming
greensmilies-008-1.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Looks like the footprints have been found in the sandstone which is next to the chalk. The article is on the national news as I type.

The chalk is a soft limestone, not quite hard enough to build with, but does have some fossils in it. I've found oysters and sea urchins and sometimes pyrites nodules that have replaced organic materials.

The news article showed a 3 toed footprint that they found while filming View attachment 82009

I know you have a penchant for the old ways, so here is a small (really small) gift of some masonry knowledge I became aware of at some point while playing in the mud.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Well he is out in the garden giving it a coat of ''looking at'' at the moment. Did you know that Lime mortar was his speciality? :giggle:
No and that is fun! I have seen some of his projects and re-creations of older tools and thought that material was in his frame of historical interest!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I accidentally had a career of working on old buildings, 30 or more churches, an historic royal palace, scheduled ancient monuments, 2 castles and a Roman city in Turkey .

Worked on many smaller houses, cottages and walls etc. too.

Made a vid of some of the work on Dunster Castle in Somerset...

I wrote a bit on Lime mortar a while back too, it's still on my website :)

Going back to the Dinatrons and the Chalk, a bit further down the coast there is an outcrop of the top layer of the chalk. This is topped by an inch layer of mud...

The mud is made up of debris that fell back to Earth after the meteor hit. Bits of vapourised rock, soot from the global forest fires and Irridium, from where the meteor pierced the Earth's crust. This mud is found worldwide at the end of the Cretaceous period. Before it there are Dinosaur fossils, after it there aren't :eek:
That meteor hit just south of my State, Alabama in the Gulf. I have been morbidly fascinated by the story and its effects.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The sand layer isn't the debris layer, that's only about an inch or so thick. I've actually held a piece of it in my hand :eek:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The debris layer is less than an inch thick. Mostly clay minerals of terrestrial origin, most of the meteor vaporised on impact. The minerals near the impact have been shocked by it. It also contains irridium which is mostly from Earth too but isn't usually found near the surface so it indicates the crust was breached.

Away from the impact area the layer contains vegetable remains as most of the plants growing at the time died in the heat and the years of darkness that followed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The ninth and penultimate (for today) stop on my virtual garden tour of threads on the Forums is Dunster Castle in Somerset.
A subtropical surprise of Beschorneria yuccoides, Cordyline australis, and Windmill Palms (Trachycarpus fortunei).
Dunster-Castle-6683.jpg

Ask a Question