Not open for further replies.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
In all honesty, I think the obsession by governments with global warming is just an excuse. If they genuinely believed their own rhetoric they wouldn't be acting the way they are.

I agree Susan.

CO2 has gone up since humans have been around, by about 0.025%

During ice ages, CO2 levels were around 200 parts per million, if they'd dropped below 150 ppm then all plant life and then all animal life would have ended and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

In the Jurassic period CO2 was 2,500 ppm, in the Carboniferous period it was up to 3,800 ppm. There was no run away greenhouse effect and the planet sorted it's self out as plant and animal life lapped up the Carbon and did very very well indeed on it.

We do need to look after what we've got, that makes total sense. There has always been and always will be climate change, we're just lucky to be living in a good bit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Well, well....

All I can say is it's heart warming to find that I'm not alone in my views of what's going on in the world! Really pleasantly surprised to find ordinary people on a little gardening forum that share observations and concerns similar to mine! I don't believe a word we're told about anything anymore. There have been too many lies.

And this is what's drawn me to gardening (which I'm really enjoying). It's not something that has ever interested me before. I hate creepy crawlies and just the sight of a worm would get me running for cover!! LOL But I just don't trust the 'establishment' to sit the right way around on a toilet seat. Some argue whether what we're witnessing is down to a globalist plot or sheer incompetence. I think it's both!! I feel the need to take as much control as possible of my own life. And that includes gardening in a sustainable way.

Where I live there is no climate change (so far). But I have noticed a huge reduction in insects. I'm focusing on building a little oasis - a paradise with as much diversity as possible. That's my passion and focus for the rest of my life. My home is my castle - God help anyone that tries to take it from me (and I suspect they will). As long as I have my home and garden I'll be fine.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Susan, when it comes to it a few lovely little worms and creepy crawlies, a bunch of weeds and a few fists full of dirt are a huge improvement, much more beneficial, smell nicer and produce food. I know what makes me happier. Our numbers are swelling which is a comfort. There are more of us than them, and all the money and pomp in the universe doesn't make them superior! We have to learn to say NO.
Stay focused on your garden, and I can promise it will give you a lot of happiness and even more importantly, peace of mind.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Good to hear Susan :)

It was people seeming to ignore facts that first got me questioning things. A greenpeace bloke wanted my money but wouldn't accept that CO2 is at an all time global low at the moment. He'd been brainwashed to think that it was going through the roof (at a .025% increase :rolleyes:) And he got cross with me for pointing out otherwise.

We mostly garden organically, (sometimes use some chemicals but not as a rule) produce our own leaf mould, compost & bark mulch. We grow a lot of food for our own use. We grow cacti for sale, grown from seed and cuttings.

We have a solar set up with several batteries and an invertor that charges up our lawn mower, hedge cutter, chainsaw and strimmer.

I do burn some of the garden waste that I can't get through the chipper or compost, but the ash goes onto the veg patch and fruit bushes. I also have a great big pile of logs in the hedge that insects, beetles and all sorts of weasle/mouse/vole things can use.

And a pile of logs innoculated with Oyster mushroom spawn that have yet to do anything :D

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
But I have noticed a huge reduction in insects.
When I was a kid and we drove from N. London t Kent to go camping in the 1950's we would have to stop half way to clean the windscreen of insects, now I hardly hit a single one. I wondered if it was because cars are more streamline, but a friend tells me when he had to drive to the S. France it was like being back in the fifties. Peasant farmers with small holdings don't spray with the same abundance.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oliver, if only things were the same now as they were then. Taking care of our land is to nourish it naturally. We should not be idle, and it is good for us to labour with our hands. The insects work hard for us, and these days they have almost been annihilated. Interfering with the wonderful system we had in the beginning is slowly destroying it - and us. It really may not be too late to stand up together, be aware of the deception and lies, and DO something about it. We are here on this forum because we are gardeners. We must know that it is time to say NO with one voice.

Right, the sun is shining today, and I'm off to do some more digging, if I sit here any longer with the laptop it will be detrimental to my health :giggle:..... by the way Oliver, we still have room for a few campers - it has dwindled a bit here, it used to be a busy camping site I ran for about 40 years. Now it's just for a few friends, and quite select !! East Kent, 30 minutes from the coast North and South.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
it is good for us to labour with our hands
Not what it feels like this morning, dug out a trench for my courgettes and filled it with compost and leaves yesterday. This morning I feel my age in my back. :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oliver, it's not just you! When the sun actually popped out yesterday, it was so nice to see it I forgot all about age, and back etc. now it's all reminding me. Still, what we have to do is persevere you know :cautious:-- if we can. I did another couple of hours digging, and then got on the tractor mower and did a couple of hours mowing. After that I looked rather like the head girl at the ministry of silly walks.
My new book arrived during lunch, and instead of cutting the rest of the grass this arvo, I might just have to sit down (in a good sit up and beg chair) and read instead. It's 180 degrees, by Feargus O'Connor Greenwood. "Unlearn the lies you've been taught to believe" I read the prologue, and two pages of the first chapter while lunch was cooking, and now all I want to do is get back to it as soon as I can.....I just got to the bit where it tells me how to shut a "conspiracy theorist" up :LOL:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
.I just got to the bit where it tells me how to shut a "conspiracy theorist" up
Could be useful.
I have an upright Windsor chair I inherited almost sixty years ago when I left home. Missus will put a cushion on it, but it's perfect without.
Having a job that needs doing all in one go is what gets to me, if I swap about, dig a little, weed a little, pot a few bits up, have a tidy round, I am fine, bit of legs, bit of back, bit of hands, not too much strain on any one thing, but I can spend the whole day doing something.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
No comment . I'm just gardening. This is supposed to be about Ancient gardening and y'all done turned it into your "global warming " rant.
Well, if the climate is or isn't like it was in Ancient Times, do you not think that may have a bearing on the validity of those methods?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
No comment . I'm just gardening. This is supposed to be about Ancient gardening and y'all done turned it into your "global warming " rant.
RANT? Is that fair?

No offence meant, but as stated, the thread is about these methods in the context of climate change, so I don't really see your complaint as valid.
Further, no-one is never excluded from any topic, but neither is anyone compelled to participate. If a particular topic disappoints, then ignore it.
If you wish to discuss these methods explicitly without the influence of climate, & think that has value, start another thread.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
By the way, the newest theory on Climate Change states that the human contribution to Climate Change so far is less than 0.03 degC.
You probably haven't yet read it, as it's only out today.
It contains all the relevant mathematics & unlike ALL climate models, fits with observations.
There is one thing that has me puzzled; why has no Climate Scientist previously used Henry's Law in connection with climate change, especially since there have been HUGE clues to its involvement?
Remember that graph in, "An Inconvenient Truth" which later it turned out that heat PRECEDED CO2 rise, & we were fed all kinds of bs why this was the case?
Well we actually know now. Henry's Law states that a rise in temperature lowers the ability of water to absorb gases.
I covered Henry's Law as a schoolboy; which Climate Scientists didn't know about it.
Here for you, hot off the press, is that very paper:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Could be useful.
I have an upright Windsor chair I inherited almost sixty years ago when I left home. Missus will put a cushion on it, but it's perfect without.
Having a job that needs doing all in one go is what gets to me, if I swap about, dig a little, weed a little, pot a few bits up, have a tidy round, I am fine, bit of legs, bit of back, bit of hands, not too much strain on any one thing, but I can spend the whole day doing something.
That's precisely what I do, whether gardening or housework.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
By the way, the newest theory on Climate Change states that the human contribution to Climate Change so far is less than 0.03 degC.
You probably haven't yet read it, as it's only out today.
It contains all the relevant mathematics & unlike ALL climate models, fits with observations.
There is one thing that has me puzzled; why has no Climate Scientist previously used Henry's Law in connection with climate change, especially since there have been HUGE clues to its involvement?
Remember that graph in, "An Inconvenient Truth" which later it turned out that heat PRECEDED CO2 rise, & we were fed all kinds of bs why this was the case?
Well we actually know now. Henry's Law states that a rise in temperature lowers the ability of water to absorb gases.
I covered Henry's Law as a schoolboy; which Climate Scientists didn't know about it.
Here for you, hot off the press, is that very paper:
If we had been taught this kind of information at school, it may have been a lot more useful than some of the other stuff we had shoved at us. I would have liked to have learned more about subjects like geology and the very old history of the planet. Much of this has been pointed out to me recently by Zigs, who, through childhood illness, missed much school life, and took to reading in a big way, so it seems. This is where his vast knowledge on this subject comes from, and has helped me enormously on some of my own research. It is a far - very far removed situation with today's children, who among other things are taught immorality at a very young age.
I do have to admit @headfullofbees , those calculations leave me dazed o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question