Comeback of Ancient Farming Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think the article is trying to make is that "Ancient Farming Practices", which I've never heard before, what they're actually talking about is Regenerative Farming (RF) is becoming more common on largescale farms. I think a lot of people don't understand what RF is or they think it's just a re-branding of Organic Farming, but nothing could be further from the truth. Organic Farming simply mimics Conventional Farming, they only real difference is non-use of synthetic fertilizers and x-icides.

However, RF (on a very large scale) attempts to exclude these amendments and rebuild the soil so the plants can be provided with all the nutrients from the soil life. It also relies on heavy biodiversity and armor over the soil to limit/stop use of all x-icides. That's just a quick overview, much more to it, since this is on a very large scale.

There also seems to be other benefits to regenerating the soil, in that the foods seem to be healthier for human comsumption. Organic Farming cannot make that claim, as other studies have suggested. A good read on that https://www.washington.edu/news/202...practices-grow-healthier-food-study-suggests/

And this is interesting: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fsufs.2021.699147/full
Even the native American Indians practiced This type of farming. They used The Three sisters planting and used cover crops for the fallow areas they didn't plant .

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
My "three sisters" planting usually is corn, beans, and some kind of melons. I like sweet peas with potatoes also, but I guess that's "two sisters". Sunflowers are used in proximity to tomatoes and squash to trap stink bugs and for their allelopathic properties.

There is no such thing as "fallow areas" in my garden. Something is growing 365 days a year. Summer cover crops are just as valuable and as important as winter covers. My goal is to get that "No fertilizer required " report on soil tests results and have a nutrient density score at or above 95%.... without ever using synthetic fertilizers.

I could care less what it's called, only that it works and works spectacularly.

Reaction score
Country
United States
All my gardening friends need to be reading ALL labels especially these days and stay away from all the chemicals you can. Its in the food at the grocery store too. These days they have added "Contains Bio-Engineered Ingredients" which we put back on the shelf. That could mean they literally added the "Vax" or who knows what. Every industry has the same goal....Money!! and they don't care how they get it. This is the main reason we started a garden here in 2021...need to start growing our own stuff. Just wait, the food situation will get worst. No coincidence that a ton of chemical train cars dumping toxic chemicals in our farm heavy areas one after another...and the chemicals they have been spraying from the skies for MANY years...its a wonder we arent all dead yet (us and the crops). The "depopulation" goal has been outed a long time ago and people (sheep) still are oblivious to the efforts. We have been trying to "wake up" our family and friends since 2020. Some listen and consider evidence and others scoff and think we are from Mars. (We can discuss the "firmament" if anyone wants to but I didnt want to turn this thread into a different topic. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Since this thread was ancient farming practice... what does anyone know about "Electro Culture". That is supposed to be "very old school" before the chemical companies started the fertilizer business.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well Paul, I haven't got a clue what Electro Culture is all about, even though I'm as old as the hills! As for ''ancient farming practice'' I think that all the sinister things happening worldwide at the moment are a clear indication that these practices will fade away into oblivion if the masses don't hurry up and open their eyes to the evil that is going on now. The topic therefore, in my opinion, is very well worth discussing. The trouble is those with their eyes, ears, and brains switched off will probably not have the gumption to try and see what's happening, let alone get up, join together and do something about it. There are many more of us than there are of them. Their money, love of power and jumped up supposed superiority would leave them looking very stupid indeed if the rest of humanity would help put a stop to it. The scamdemic and continuing human cull with poisons for the land, and the ploy to ruin the farmers and their farms will no doubt make the whole system collapse. They call it the great reset, I call it a deception that will cause the greatest disaster of all time.
Have you heard the story of the greedy little boy who could not remove his greedy little fist from the candy jar?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am 100% with you on all of that. The chemical fertilizers actually doing more harm than good, the GMO foods, the chemical ingredients in all of our food....it should be enough for the average person to see something is clearly going on with society and the masses. I noticed even in the replies to this thread some gardeners got pretty "in depth" when I think that is part of the issue. Sometimes, we can be too smart for our own britches...and cant see the "simple." I like Meadowlark's goal of "no fertilizer". Cool. At least I am trying to do "natural" fertilizers and nothing chemical anymore. I bought the Miracle in a Can when I first started...didnt take long to get rid of that.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I don't use synthetic fertilisers either, and I've heard of the "3 sisters" planting @Meadowlark.

I've used cover crops in the past, prefering yellow mustard that I can pick a few greens from in winter before digging it in in the spring.

I had a look at what regenerative farming is seemingly about,

wasn't very convinced at the start of the article when the bloke said he'd invested in machinery to help him capture carbon, seemed like an oxymoron to me. Then even less convinced when I saw the companies involved in trying to promote their green credentials while still needing to pack most things in single use plastics and carry on making as much profit.

This whole carbon capture/climate change smokescreen is detracting from the real things that need doing. We do need to develop sustainability and we do need to stop poluting our planet, just not in the totally panic induced hysteria thats being shoved down our throats at the moment.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am 100% with you on all of that. The chemical fertilizers actually doing more harm than good, the GMO foods, the chemical ingredients in all of our food....it should be enough for the average person to see something is clearly going on with society and the masses. I noticed even in the replies to this thread some gardeners got pretty "in depth" when I think that is part of the issue. Sometimes, we can be too smart for our own britches...and cant see the "simple." I like Meadowlark's goal of "no fertilizer". Cool. At least I am trying to do "natural" fertilizers and nothing chemical anymore. I bought the Miracle in a Can when I first started...didnt take long to get rid of that.
All the time we can look after our own plot of land without interference, we can, in a small way, ''farm'' in the right way. Try to always avoid using any poisons, as with a correct balance it all takes care of itself. As for zero carbon, that is just ridiculous. Without carbon we will not survive. Without carbon, the plants will all be dead, and with them all life as we know it. Why the sheep cannot understand this is beyond me. We use stuff like nettles and comfrey to help with fertilizing, but it stinks a bit. Zigs makes some very sweet smelling compost though, and leaf mould too.
That shower from the WEF want us to eat bugs, but I prefer to see them crawling around in the garden. We help them, and they help us right back :giggle:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
During Dansgaard-Oeshger events, the Earth's mean temperature rises 5-8 C (9-14.4f) in a few decades, far faster than we are seeing now, & totally natural.
25 of these events are known in the recent geological past.
The science, if you actually read it, leans towards my view.
Furthermore:

So, next time a starey-eyed climate moonie tells you that its the speed of warming which cannot be natural, so it must be anthropogenic, tell him/her/them/they or whatever stupid pronouns they use, that they are talking out of their lower digestive orifice.

I'm not wrong.
It is called the Dunning- Kruger Effect --- a cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result that they have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge. Most are talking out of the wrong oriface.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
It is called the Dunning- Kruger Effect --- a cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result that they have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge. Most are talking out of the wrong oriface.
And how long have you suffered?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
And how long have you suffered?

I've read through your post and Don's reply to it, I may be wrong but I think he was agreeing with you Bee's and refering to the "starry eyed climate moonies" and not to the previous part of your post :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I've read through your post and Don's reply to it, I may be wrong but I think he was agreeing with you Bee's and refering to the "starry eyed climate moonies" and not to the previous part of your post :)
It was meant to be a joke.
I hope Don Perry is not upset or offended.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a look at this - from a cattle farmer in Australia. It is worrying enough that they insist on cattle being pumped full of antibiotics - it gets worse.... this reminds me of why I stopped eating meat. Poor animals, what the hell did they do to deserve doing this to them?
https://www.bitchute.com/video/hLLDZn9DYdMx/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question