Comeback of Ancient Farming Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
So the heating we have, in terms of speed & degree are unprecedented, apart from 26 times in recent geological history.
26 times, when man has definitely had no hand in it, & the climate has warmed far more, far faster.
Even if you retort that "something else" must have happened, in fact, even if you can prove something else happened, which you cannot, it is still a fact that this heating is far from unprecedented, & that argument is a busted flush.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time that site has been flooded since 1947 it would seem. The archeologist and hydrologist only proposed a theory, they don't offer any proof, of repetitive events on that scale.

Meanwhile
“In a changing climate, what used to be a one-in-a-thousand-year event is often not a one-in-a-thousand-year event anymore,” Hausfather said. “You see a dramatic sort of change in the return periods of these extremely unlikely events as the world warms.”

Catastrophic flooding in Pakistan — coming just weeks after its historic siege of heat — destroyed more than a million homes and left nearly 1,500 people dead. The prolonged rainfall and flooding altered the lives of 33 million Pakistanis. During the summer months, the country experienced 190 percent more rainfall than average. The World Weather Attribution project showed that climate change probably intensified this rainfall by 50 to 75 percent.

!90% more than average rainfall can not be described as 'normal'. You will be telling me it was all normal here last Summer when we had 9% of our average rainfall. In a pre industrial society that would mean mass starvation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Re the OP.
Reading about old style farming and leaving land fallow once every three years I had always assumed that meant you simply left it. Not so, it was ploughed at least three times during the year, sometimes four or five. That must mean ploughing in a cover crop of weeds, maybe not as good as soya, but three times a year! Think of that as a lot of work too, ploughing is pretty physical and the general old definition of an acre is the amount of land a man and his team can plough in a day.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Perhaps they knew that the effort was worth it!

With modern equipment there is absolutely no question it is worth it. Too many decades for me of gardening success to think anything other than that. I never, ever leave any of my garden space empty summer, winter or whatever.

However, attempting to link this practice to defeating climate change is at best ridiculous. The real reason to employ these practices is that they work, i.e., they lead to nutrient dense vegetables with minimal use of artificial fertilizers, pesticides, and fungicides.

In the long run, it is indeed less work, not more.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a fantasy of a field set with concrete posts spaced around the edges and a small stationary engine that winds a cable around them. Start it up and come back to a ploughed or harrowed field some hours later. :)

With gearing you wouldn't need a lot of power, a little windmill would be a nice green way forward.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
First time that site has been flooded since 1947 it would seem. The archeologist and hydrologist only proposed a theory, they don't offer any proof, of repetitive events on that scale.

Meanwhile
“In a changing climate, what used to be a one-in-a-thousand-year event is often not a one-in-a-thousand-year event anymore,” Hausfather said. “You see a dramatic sort of change in the return periods of these extremely unlikely events as the world warms.”

Catastrophic flooding in Pakistan — coming just weeks after its historic siege of heat — destroyed more than a million homes and left nearly 1,500 people dead. The prolonged rainfall and flooding altered the lives of 33 million Pakistanis. During the summer months, the country experienced 190 percent more rainfall than average. The World Weather Attribution project showed that climate change probably intensified this rainfall by 50 to 75 percent.

!90% more than average rainfall can not be described as 'normal'. You will be telling me it was all normal here last Summer when we had 9% of our average rainfall. In a pre industrial society that would mean mass starvation.
The problem you have is that statistics accept the idea of one-in-a-thousand year events happening in close proximity.
As in coin-tossing, heads or tails may each have a 50-50 chance, but what are the chances of the next toss being a heads if the previous 31 were all tails? Answer: 50/50

It is also the case that other variables come into play:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom

Meanwhile

Add in the effects of the triple La Nina, & you have precisely what you'd expect from the climate.

Want to know WHY there's a climate emergency fraud?

To justify this: https://igorchudov.substack.com/p/t...nguage talk of many buildings being abandoned.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
We hear a lot about La Nina and El Nino; however, we do NOT hear a lot about the AMO (Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation). It's called Multidecadal because it usually lasts between 20 - 40-years in one phase before shifting to the other phase (Warm and Cold phases). We've been in a Warm Phase, since the mid-1990's. And the warm phase usually results in milder winters across much of the US and Europe.

Climate is a very complicated thing with tons of factors, many of which we have no idea how they work. Cloud formation is just one example of where we're totally clueless on, but it's a major factor.

I personally don't worry about CC, but I do worry about what we're doing to the environment. If we want to electrify everything from cars to major infrastructure, I don't think many people understand just how much we have to increase our mining activities. Mining is a proven hazard to not only our health, but the health of huge expanses of ecosystems.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Thought you might be interested in this new peer-reviewed paper showing climate heating episodes of more than 10C (18f) in less than ten years!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@headfullofbees , we have been trying to point a few things out on another forum, and found that generally people see the history of the planet only goes back as far as their Great Grandparents. The picture is a bit different over a few million years.
I think our carbon dioxide level is at a low ebb. Where will food come from if plants are unable to survive (they need carbon) ''They'' already want to get rid of our farm animals because they phart too much. (posh spelling)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
@headfullofbees , we have been trying to point a few things out on another forum, and found that generally people see the history of the planet only goes back as far as their Great Grandparents. The picture is a bit different over a few million years.
I think our carbon dioxide level is at a low ebb. Where will food come from if plants are unable to survive (they need carbon) ''They'' already want to get rid of our farm animals because they phart too much. (posh spelling)
The UN is also discussing darkening the sky to deal with "climate change".
That's photosynthesis knacked to then.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
We hear a lot about La Nina and El Nino; however, we do NOT hear a lot about the AMO (Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation). It's called Multidecadal because it usually lasts between 20 - 40-years in one phase before shifting to the other phase (Warm and Cold phases). We've been in a Warm Phase, since the mid-1990's. And the warm phase usually results in milder winters across much of the US and Europe.

Climate is a very complicated thing with tons of factors, many of which we have no idea how they work. Cloud formation is just one example of where we're totally clueless on, but it's a major factor.

I personally don't worry about CC, but I do worry about what we're doing to the environment. If we want to electrify everything from cars to major infrastructure, I don't think many people understand just how much we have to increase our mining activities. Mining is a proven hazard to not only our health, but the health of huge expanses of ecosystems.

What you have to remember is that there will be no attempt to replace Britain's 26m ice cars with their electric equivalent; driving will be, as it was in the 1920s, the preserve of the well-to-do.
We'll have to walk, or get the bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question