Comeback of Ancient Farming Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Now, what I really came onto this thread for, which IS a horticultural matter, namely the greening of the planet:

The article indicates the higher net use of carbon by plants.
There is increased browning, which causes plants to release more carbon, but that is overwhlmed by the greening uptick.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Independent sage, not politicians or mainstream media, but highly respectable academics
Member list :-

Professor Anthony Costello (May 2020 – )
Professor of Global Health and Sustainable Development, University College London; former Director at WHO

Dr Steve Griffin (Jan 2022 – )
Associate Professor of Virology, University of Leeds

ACTING CHAIR

Professor Martin McKee
(May 2020 – ; Acting Chair Jan 2022 – March 2022 )
Professor of European Public Health at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine

DEPUTY CHAIR

Professor Susan Michie
(May 2020 – )
Professor of Health Psychology and Director of the Centre for Behaviour Change at University College London, participant in SPI(B), SAGE sub-committee

MEMBERS
Professor Danny Altmann
(Dec 2021 – )
Professor of Immunology, Imperial College London

Professor Karl Friston FRS (May 2020 – ) (On sabbatical Jan 2022 – )
Professor of Imaging Neuroscience/Wellcome Principal Research Fellow, University College London

Dr Zubaida Haque FRSA (May 2020 – )
Former Executive Director, The Equality Trust. Dr Haque is also a Commissioner on the Hamilton Commission.

Professor Aris Katzourakis (Jan 2022 – )
Professor of Evolution and Genomics, University of Oxford

Dr Tolullah Oni (June 2020 – ) (On sabbatical Jan 2022 – )
Public Health Physician Scientist and urban epidemiologist, and a Clinical Senior Research fellow with the University of Cambridge’s Global Public Health Research programme.

Professor Christina Pagel (May 2020 – )
Professor of Operational Research (branch of applied mathematics), Director of the Clinical Operational Research Unit & co-Director of the UCL CHIMERA hub, University College London

Professor Stephen Reicher (June 2020 – )
Professor of Social Psychology at the University of St Andrews, participant in SPI(B), SAGE sub-committee

Dr Helen Salisbury (August 2021 – )
General Practitioner (GP) and Senior Medical Education Fellow at the Department of Primary Care, Oxford University

Professor Gabriel Scally (May 2020 – ) (On sabbatical Dec 2022 – )
Visiting Professor of Public Health at the University of Bristol, Former President of Epidemiology & Public Health section, Royal Society of Medicine (2019-2021)

Dr Kit Yates (October 2020 – ) (On sabbatical Sept 2021 – March 2022)
Senior Lecturer in the Department of Mathematical Sciences and co-director of the Centre for Mathematical Biology at the University of Bath

Professor Sheena Cruickshank (April 2022 – )
Immunologist and Professor in Biomedical Sciences and Public Engagement at the University of Manchester

Professor Trish Greenhalgh (April 2022 – )
Professor of Primary Care Health Sciences and Fellow of Green Templeton College at the University of Oxford

Dr Binita Kane (April 2022 – )
Consultant Respiratory Physician, Honorary Senior Lecturer at University of Manchester School of Biomedical Sciences, Respiratory Programme Lead at Health Innovation Manchester

Dr Duncan Robertson (April 2022 – )
Policy & Strategy Analytics academic at Loughborough University and Fellow of St Catherine’s College, Oxford

Dr Lennard Lee (Jan 2023 – )
Academic Clinical Lecturer and Medical Oncology Consultant, University of Oxford

+++
Are these the same highly respected academics who told us that we should lockdown, when countries that didn't, like Sweden, which has a higher percentage of its population living in towns & cities, did better, & now don't have the resultant increases in mental health problems, drug & alcohol usage, suicide rates & economies shattered?
Did they tell us that covid vaccines would stop you getting covid, but they didn't?
Did they tell you that having the covid vaccines would stop you transmitting covid (& that if you didn't do so you were an evil, self-centred granny-killer?) when they did not stop transmission.
Did they say that the vaccines were safe, yet they are known to cause myocarditis, & 10s of thousands of fit young people in the UK alone have started dying of "unknown causes" (not being investigated!!!!!) or keeling over & dying during strenuous exercise?
Are these the same people who told us that the novel Wuhan coronavirus leaked from a wet market, & the fact that there is, within the area THE WUHAN NOVEL CORONAVIRUS LABORATORY is absolutely coincidental?

Let's get one thing straight: politicians appoint the experts that they know will tell them what they want to hear, & that is the ONLY qualification needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The UK had a centre at Tavistock & Portman totally dedicated to "gender identity for CHILDREN & young people", which it had to shut down.
There are over 800 children in England alone, down to the age of TEN on puberty blocking drugs.
Now, what racist nonsense?
Exactly! There are some states here that allow and encourage children under the age of 12 to have gender changing surgery. This is absolutely insane. Allowing 10 year olds and younger to have puberty blocking drugs is nothing short of child abuse.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found this article in Wikipedia rather interesting regarding tomato growing and carbon dioxide.

Carbon dioxide enrichment[edit]​

Further information: CO2 fertilization effect
The benefits of carbon dioxide enrichment to about 1100 parts per million in greenhouse cultivation to enhance plant growth has been known for nearly 100 years.[19][20][21] After the development of equipment for the controlled serial enrichment of carbon dioxide, the technique was established on a broad scale in the Netherlands.[22] Secondary metabolites, e.g., cardiac glycosides in Digitalis lanata, are produced in higher amounts by greenhouse cultivation at enhanced temperature and at enhanced carbon dioxide concentration.[23] Carbon dioxide enrichment can also reduce greenhouse water usage by a significant fraction by mitigating the total air-flow needed to supply adequate carbon for plant growth and thereby reducing the quantity of water lost to evaporation.[24] Commercial greenhouses are now frequently located near appropriate industrial facilities for mutual benefit. For example, Cornerways Nursery in the UK is strategically placed near a major sugar refinery,[25] consuming both waste heat and CO2 from the refinery which would otherwise be vented to atmosphere. The refinery reduces its carbon emissions, whilst the nursery enjoys boosted tomato yields and does not need to provide its own greenhouse heating.

Enrichment only becomes effective where, by Liebig's law, carbon dioxide has become the limiting factor. In a controlled greenhouse, irrigation may be trivial, and soils may be fertile by default. In less-controlled gardens and open fields, rising CO2 levels only increase primary production to the point of soil depletion (assuming no droughts,[26][27][28] flooding,[29] or both[30][31][32][33][34]), as demonstrated prima facie by CO2 levels continuing to rise. In addition, laboratory experiments, free air carbon enrichment (FACE) test plots,[35][36] and field measurements provide replicability.[37][38]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is better now by far to take children out of school and teach them at home. My own great grandchildren are being schooled this way in Tasmania, as are most of the Christian kids there. If mine were still young they would NOT be subjected to the ridiculous and dangerous abominations that are now taught in our schools, and if I was a teacher and told to subject little ones to such foul ideas I would protest loudly and leave the system, offering tuition at home to help parents care for their kids.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hugely overplayed, the actual numbers of people involved are tiny. Expect more of this, more racist nonsense, more about illegal immigrants, more mud slinging and blaming, because there will be an election not that far away and all the things that actually matter have been thrown to the wind in a mad rush to line pockets, they need distractions.
The upcoming election will be totally irrelevant to me because there is nobody at all I would trust to vote for. If there is an agenda to be taken on board at all it will have to be my own. Good luck to you Oliver.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I know that it is difficult sometimes to let off steam about such issues, but, to be honest, I don't think this is the place for gender dysphoria discussions.
Climate change is different because it has huge horticultural repercussions & so is, imv. relevant for this site.
Like this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-64842402

Now this is very misleading, because 1) all plants try to overcome the climate if it is marginal; many of us on here may save seed if we're in marginal climates, because the ones that succeed are more likely to have similarly successful offspring.
Furthermore, the UK, being an island is less prone to creep than it is to accidental, or deliberate introduction by humans.
Our most troublesome invasive plant, Japanese Knotweed, was introduced to the UK in 1850, when no-one in my street had an SUV.
Does anyone believe that the ubiquity of grey squirrels in the UK is down to anthropogenic climate change?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
NO at least anyone with half a brain. Rats maybe - the human kind.... Himalayan Balsam is fast catching up with knotweed by the looks of it.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Japanese Knotweed, was introduced to the UK in 1850, when no-one in my street had an SUV.
Does anyone believe that the ubiquity of grey squirrels in the UK is down to anthropogenic climate change?

No, neither were we responsible for all the ice sheets melting in the Cretaceous period when CO2 was about 1000ppm. Maybe some dinosaurs drove big cars back then and used gas central heating? :whistle:

My point earlier was that the planet used the extra CO2 to grow more plant life and plankton which took the CO2 out of the atmosphere. No one needed to cut down on anything or tax anything or tell anyone else that they can't stay warm. The council now wants us to stop burning wood, despite it being carbon neutral.

When it went the other way and the ice sheets almost met at the equator, no one was around to fix that problem either, funny how the planet has been looking after itself for 4 and a half billion years. It really doesn't give a toss about a few monkeys having a bonfire on it :cautious:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are these the same highly respected academics who told us that we should lockdown, when countries that didn't, like Sweden, which has a higher percentage of its population living in towns & cities, did better, & now don't have the resultant increases in mental health problems, drug & alcohol usage, suicide rates & economies shattered?
Did they tell us that covid vaccines would stop you getting covid, but they didn't?
Did they tell you that having the covid vaccines would stop you transmitting covid (& that if you didn't do so you were an evil, self-centred granny-killer?) when they did not stop transmission.
Did they say that the vaccines were safe, yet they are known to cause myocarditis, & 10s of thousands of fit young people in the UK alone have started dying of "unknown causes" (not being investigated!!!!!) or keeling over & dying during strenuous exercise?
Are these the same people who told us that the novel Wuhan coronavirus leaked from a wet market, & the fact that there is, within the area THE WUHAN NOVEL CORONAVIRUS LABORATORY is absolutely coincidental?

Let's get one thing straight: politicians appoint the experts that they know will tell them what they want to hear, & that is the ONLY qualification needed.
No, they are not, that lot are SAGE, this lot call themselves 'Independent Sage' because they disagree on so many of those points and are not direct government employees.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My understanding was that they imported disease that killed most of the red squirrels, but that a strain of red with some imunity has emerged and they are making a comeback, slowly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
My point was that we have had invasive species, both flora & fauna, since nineteen-canteen, & that other species can gradually adapt to warmer or colder climates to allow them to creep northwards/southwards, & that we are AGAIN being lied to when the elites try to blame CO2.
Humanity began in Africa, for goodness sake!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
"My point was that we have had invasive species, both flora & fauna."

I always think trees are the prime example, over 350 species grow wild here, but only about 35 are native. They say the Romans brought the poplar for bees, and it's been going on ever since.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Climate Change is a 100% Hoax and propaganda for many years for the globalists...wake up. We have been lied to about MANY things and climate is one of many. Do your own research...DONT listen to the main stream media. They are all owned by the same people who control the propaganda. They now want to eliminate farmers and ALLLLL gardens, even the little people like us. They want to control the food distribution and push people into getting the "mark" to buy and sell. Read your Bible....its in there.

Attachments

• photo_2022-06-07_07-24-38.jpg
    photo_2022-06-07_07-24-38.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 7
  • photo_2022-09-16_20-28-44.jpg
    photo_2022-09-16_20-28-44.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh yes, the mark of the beast. I wondered if this might start to happen in my lifetime. The signs are certainly all appearing aren't they Paul. It's happening in the form of communism, a totalitarian effort. Somehow we need to help people to wake up. Christianity is under attack, and we must stand up and be counted.
The Iceberg - I love the object lesson (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question