Cold

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I've been delaying Spring planting because of the cold, and I'm seeing videos online of cold in many other places, but being ignored by the state propaganda broadcaster (BBC), so, since this is a huge forum, with people from all over the World, I thought I'd ask you:

How is the weather in your country?
Is Spring late/early/on time if you're in the Northern Hemisphere?
How about Autumn in the South?

Lamb farmers here are being compensated for their losses due to unseasonal cold, are there farming problems in your country?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
From what I'm reading online, the weather has been crazy a bit allover the globe!
Here we are at least a month behind, it's been winter cold and snowing almost every day since last Fall, other than a 2 day break we had early last month....we thought we would never see Spring, then yesterday the bitter cold stopped and the sun started warming up, and today will be the first day we can actually step outside into the garden to do some work

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Freezing a few weeks ago, boiling hot past few days, plants in the greenhouse got scorched.

Now they forecast snow next week :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here, overall weather is almost back to normal after about 7 years of warm winters. It is a lot cooler than it has been and has actually helped in my garden. All of my tomatoes are blooming and setting fruit with very little blossom drop. The only thing is zero rain in almost 2 months.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We had another freeze warning last night.. (n) The local weather forecaster keeps reminding us that it is colder than average. :(

The Weather Channel was reporting on the widespread cold yesterday. It is the warming weather that causes the tornadoes in Oklahoma, and thanks to the cold, they are approaching a record. (They average 11.7 tornadoes in April.)

https://weather.com/storms/tornado/news/2018-04-19-no-tornadoes-oklahoma-record-2018

Since 1950, however, there has never been a year with zero tornadoes recorded from January through April in Oklahoma. The National Weather Service in Tulsa noted earlier this week that the record for the latest start to the tornado season is April 26, which occurred in 1962.

With generally cooler-than-average temperatures expected, conditions through the end of the month do not look particularly favorable for tornadoes in Oklahoma, so a new record looks very likely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We got a slightly warmer than average winter in my area (Oregon), some scary warm days like 80F in February.

The warming Arctic is what’s wreaking havoc with the east coast US and Europe. It’s pushing ridiculously cold temperatures south when it has days of 50F above average. They’ve been calling it a polar vortex.

It’s also slowing down ocean currents substantially, which is what helps push weather systems around. I predict we see an ice free Arctic in the summer very soon, by 2020 at the latest. It will have vast, unpredictable climate impacts at that point, potentially catastrophic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
We got a slightly warmer than average winter in my area (Oregon), some scary warm days like 80F in February.

The warming Arctic is what’s wreaking havoc with the east coast US and Europe. It’s pushing ridiculously cold temperatures south when it has days of 50F above average. They’ve been calling it a polar vortex.

It’s also slowing down ocean currents substantially, which is what helps push weather systems around. I predict we see an ice free Arctic in the summer very soon, by 2020 at the latest. It will have vast, unpredictable climate impacts at that point, potentially catastrophic.

By 2020???? That’s only 2 years away! Don’t bet your life savings on that prediction.

I am constantly amazed that the same people that say the earth is billions of years old and came from an explosion of nothing feel that in our tiny little spec of time that the atmosphere is perfect and should be sustained as such. Do we really know that this environment today is what is perfect? Maybe it is a million year aberration that the earth will correct shortly. I am far more concerned with pollution than global warming. In a period of a couple of minutes Yellowstone could completely change everything.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
By 2020???? That’s only 2 years away! Don’t bet your life savings on that prediction.

I am constantly amazed that the same people that say the earth is billions of years old and came from an explosion of nothing feel that in our tiny little spec of time that the atmosphere is perfect and should be sustained as such. Do we really know that this environment today is what is perfect? Maybe it is a million year aberration that the earth will correct shortly. I am far more concerned with pollution than global warming. In a period of a couple of minutes Yellowstone could completely change everything.

Agreed :eek:

Yellowstone blowing could tip us back out of this interglacial period and back into the ice age that we're still in.

Atmospheric CO2 is at it's lowest point since before the start of the ice age and low CO2 is a big factor in starting the ice sheets rolling again :eek:

And don't believe the myth about runaway greenhouse effect, CO2 in the Jurrasic was 2.500 ppm compared to today's 400 ppm, we didn't burn up then because plants thrive on the stuff.

Better to have no sea ice than loose Northern Europe, Canada and most of America.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Honestly it could be ice free this year. But don’t take my word for it. Feel free to read up on the data. It’s not good. https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php

And I’m not in any way saying that our current environment or climate are perfect or sustainable. Change is constant with everything. But the satellite data we do have coupled with ice cores and runaway CO2 shows we’re in trouble.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Lowest point in the Arctic right now.
837C78F6-3932-458B-A5FF-0AD8867CCAF9.jpeg

Lowest point globally right now as well, and that 2nd circle should clearly show you that something is very broken. Those 2 anomaly years are 2016, 2017.
55BCF68E-84E7-441A-90B6-4A05C6E8295E.jpeg

And here’s how the CO2 cycle should look. It decoupled at the exact same time as the industrial revolution and has increased almost exponentially since.
4158D78F-B9A9-4244-BF80-9EED4EC2E809.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom

I've searched the data and can find nowhere in the Arctic that was 50f above normal.
It seems like fake news.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The earth has been going in and out of heating and cooling for millions of years. What makes this little blip important. It must be because some people think humans are at fault for it happening. Maybe if they researched and studied The Younger Dryas .................never mind.

Ask a Question