Antidote to cold, rain, snow

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We are having cold rain and I'm not a happy camper. I saw this on the 'net, and thought it might cheer up those who are suffering from filthy weather, too.
home-design.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How big is your colt please?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Not my colt! We have four cats and sixteen hens, and that's all we can handle. The hens have heat lamps in their coops, and the cats have an insulated shelter my husband built. Our neighbor's horses have lovely stalls in a secure barn, but as far as I know, they are not invited inside.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I was getting worried about colt not being house trained. :eek::LOL:!

Lately, I have noticed that people, especially men, walked their dogs with a flashing band sewn into their coats. It was quite cute and it's a good idea as it was dark and the flashing light band made it safer for the little cutie pies! I was also surprised to see more men walked little doggies whilst women, especially girls, were dragged along by huge beasts! :eek::D

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I was also surprised to see more men walked little doggies whilst women, especially girls, were dragged along by huge beasts! :eek::D

Might be for safety reasons. If I'm walking alone at night, I'd rather have a big dog! (y) Also, if someone is trying to get in your house, a little dog's "yip, yip, yipping" will alert you to it. A big dog shouting, "BARK, BARK" ... might make the person try a different house! ;)

I can't find the commercial I wanted. :( Same company, but the one I wanted had a little old lady in a dress. She made her voice deeper to sound like a big dog. When the burglar ran away, she "hmphed" to herself with a satisfied smile that was just great! This one is still funny, but the other one was hilarious! :ROFLMAO:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
LOL! That's it. That man is out for me! So useless!

My neighbour's daughter said that her hubby would rather be dead than being seen walking a Pomeranian

upload_2018-2-14_16-27-15.jpeg

I would have it rather than French bulldog or Akita any time! Ah, you're right. There was a news story which reported that a Pomeranian was torn to pieces by a bulldog! :cry::cry::cry:

Perhaps a big dog for security is a better choice, MaryMary!;):D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
When I was a child our next-door neighbour kept geese, sheep, and horses. We only lived there for about a year. I remember one time popping around with mum and we were in the kitchen chatting to them... and I heard a very faint bleating. Thought I was going mad, then I heard it again and the sound was definitely coming from her Aga cooker... :eek:

Turns out a new-born lamb had been rejected by its mother, and was not doing well. My neighbour was keeping it warm in the cool part of her Aga! :LOL: The door was ajar and it was curled up on a sheepskin, cute as could be :happy:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
When I was a child our next-door neighbour kept geese, sheep, and horses. We only lived there for about a year. I remember one time popping around with mum and we were in the kitchen chatting to them... and I heard a very faint bleating. Thought I was going mad, then I heard it again and the sound was definitely coming from her Aga cooker... :eek:

Turns out a new-born lamb had been rejected by its mother, and was not doing well. My neighbour was keeping it warm in the cool part of her Aga! :LOL: The door was ajar and it was curled up on a sheepskin, cute as could be :happy:
:D:ROFLMAO:;)

Ingenious!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Becky, you reminded me of something we did when we were first married. We had a shed where we stored firewood, and my husband came in from getting wood but had two small kittens in his hands. They were wet, barely breathing, and looked like they didn't have much longer to survive. I warmed towels in our oven, wrapped the kittens up, and laid them in the oven with the heat off, but with residual warmth. They revived, were given warmed milk and then some minced ham, and promptly pottied on my kitchen floor. Cat gratitude--you can't beat it!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
(y) Heart-WARMING anecdote!

Antidote is a different thing? Just like my "What are you thinking, tea or coffee? " @marlingardener I should have typed drinking! :LOL: Hilarious .. But we all knew what you meant!:ROFLMAO:;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hello marlingardener,

That photo actually brought back a memory for me. I was 16yrs old and one of my mares had given birth in the middle of the night and it was a few weeks early. It was my turn to get up in the middle of the night and check the cows for calves. Heading back I walked through the barn yard and noticed Dooley standing off alone and licking at the straw pile. Well it was her foal. Poor thing wasn't moving and it was cold out, late Feb. Dad called the vet and he told us to bring it in the house and give it a warm bath in the tub. Did that and it finally warmed up but couldn't stand. Little Basil lived in the basement for a couple weeks until it could walk and until it's mom started producing milk. Until then it survived on my nanny goat's milk. Dad was happy that my goat was finally useful for something other than following me around everywhere and supplying me with goats milk. Nobody else could stand to drink the stuff, I liked it. So every day the hired hand and myself would haul the foal out of the basement and out to the barn yard to visit it's mom.
Grew up to be a beautiful Arab Buckskin stallion. But it had a cloudy eye and was always very skittish and threatening if it didn't know you. In fact it kicked the vet once and the he whipped around in a rage and screamed and cussed me out. I never got along with that vet after that. Getting a kick from a cow or horse is part of the territory if you want to be a country vet. I was never kicked but I've been thrown from horses several times and when I bought Dooley the first ride she was testing me to find out who would be boss. She ran up against the barbed wire fence and ran my leg down the fence, I was screaming of course. Stupid me, I was a kid and it was hot out. I was wearing sneakers and shorts.lol

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Wonderful story! Make me smile first thing in the morning!(y)

Ask a Question