If I put a pvc sheet over a bell trough planter will it be like a cold frame

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
My greenhouse got trashed last year with all the wind, had to dump the frame but I kept the pvc sheets so I'm wondering if I could put them to good use and start some seeds in trough containers, pic attached (I was going to trim them down to fit over them properly but just wanted to see if it would work first)

Attachments

• 20180405_171138.jpg
    20180405_171138.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 275
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
You have a semi cold frame. Usually a cold frame encloses the soil underneath and around the plant in the soil or in a pot. There is no insulating air around those planters so you may have a problem there. Putting the planters in a cardboard box and then covering them with your twinwall pieces would greatly help.

As it is now, the walls of your planters won't provide any insulation in cold conditions. Even a cheap plastic bin would also help and be weather proof to boot :)

That said, you are in a much warmer zone than me but this weather lately is a real game changer!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
I made this one using plexiglas but you could do the same with your twinwall. I have another that I made using an old glass door :)

They look smashing! Do you need to put something beneath the soil also or just on the sides and top? I'll give that a try thanks for the info

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Just the sides and top. The ground will absorb heat during the day and it moderates the temperatures overnight. I just took some pots of strawberries out of there the other day and hung them in the greenhouse. They survived in there over a very bitter winter. We were down to -20F - so that really shows what these cold frames can do :)

Let me see if I can find a picture of the one I made using the old door...
DSCN1725(1).JPG

As you can see, the backside is actually the side of my raised deck but if I didn't have that, I would have just put another sheet of plastic back there. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
Just the sides and top. The ground will absorb heat during the day and it moderates the temperatures overnight. I just took some pots of strawberries out of there the other day and hung them in the greenhouse. They survived in there over a very bitter winter. We were down to -20F - so that really shows what these cold frames can do :)

Let me see if I can find a picture of the one I made using the old door...
View attachment 34542
As you can see, the backside is actually the side of my raised deck but if I didn't have that, I would have just put another sheet of plastic back there. :)

That's awesome I'm going to get some lumber soon and give it a go :)

Ask a Question