Put my transplants in but...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Now I’m wondering if this is deep enough, I didn’t fill my beds all the way which would be 16inch, I did about 9 inch. Will this be deep enough or could I add more soil when needed as they grow? Reason I didn’t fill beds all the way because I was thinking the sides would help with the wind while they are still tender.

Attachments

• 9AAB5717-087B-434C-8A66-DFAB71842DCE.jpeg
    9AAB5717-087B-434C-8A66-DFAB71842DCE.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 250
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Now I’m wondering if this is deep enough, I didn’t fill my beds all the way which would be 16inch, I did about 9 inch. Will this be deep enough or could I add more soil when needed as they grow? Reason I didn’t fill beds all the way because I was thinking the sides would help with the wind while they are still tender.
You can plant tomatoes deep, up to the first set of true leaves and even higher. Tomatoes will make roots and you will end up with multiple growing stems. If your climate is like mine the more stems the better because the heat will soon arrive and no more tomatoes setting fruit. The more stems and blooms the more tomatoes This year I planted my tomatoes between 10 and 12 inches deep. Of course they were rather tall. Is that a 4 ft x 4 ft box they are in? If so you have too many plants too close to each other.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You can add more material whenever you want. Did you put weed barrier down or are the tomatoes able to reach deep? It looks like you did, in which case I would add more material sooner than later.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, as @Chuck and @TomatoTango pointed out, it is actually recommended that you plant them deep. So all you have to do is just to top up soil and feed or add slow release fertiliser.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well damn guess they are gonna die then since I put too many in one box :( . I dug a little up but also laid down a weed preventer mesh on bottom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well damn guess they are gonna die then since I put too many in one box :( . I dug a little up but also laid down a weed preventer mesh on bottom.
They won't die, they just won't produce like they should. Pull the one in the center out and put it in a 5 gallon bucket. Pinch off the lower limbs of the others and add more soil.

Ask a Question