Citrus under a massive camphor laurel

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,
I'm in Sydney, and about a third of my yard is overshadowed by a massive (really massive) camphor laurel which is my rear neighbour's yard- it's so big, most of our yard can't be seen on Google Earth, (Several metres in circumference around the trunk, and at least 20m high).

I've only been at this location for 10 month, so gardening is finally on the agenda, after moving/renovating. I was digging around the yard for a place to plant an orange or lemon in spring, and i discovered that (duh, of course) the huge camphor laurel's roots are all under my yard, and the hole i've dug is crisscrossed with camphor roots (I can smell the camphor once i start cutting the roots). Would that make it impossible to properly grow a citrus?

Any experts out there?

Cheers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
As long as there is sufficient sun for the tree it should be okay. The farther you can get from the Camphor the better though. Now, getting things to grow under the Camphor is a whole 'nother thread!:eek:

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks for the reply- well, this is my concern, whether the citrus roots will do alright or not. I guess i'll just have to bite the bullet and try...

Ask a Question