Best times to fertilize citrus trees

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
For those growing citrus, what time(s) of the year are you applying fertilizer?

Currently, we have a Meyer Lemon which is already flowering and putting on new fruit beautifully (some of the fruit is about twice the size of a pea).
Fertilized organically a few weeks ago, and left it at that - tree seems to be doing very well. Is fertilizing again in late Spring or early Summer recommended?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have an in-ground Meyer Lemon Tree (Citrus x meyeri 'Meyer Improved') that I fertilize with organic compost mulch at various times of the year.

I rarely apply synthetic fertilizer to my in-ground plantings. If I did, it would be in Spring and Summer when most foliar growth occurs. Even though Meyer Lemons produce few new leaves in Winter, they do have developing fruit on their branches. My Meyer Lemon harvest is ready to pick in Spring.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I have an in-ground Meyer Lemon Tree (Citrus x meyeri 'Meyer Improved') that I fertilize with organic compost mulch at various times of the year.

I rarely apply synthetic fertilizer to my in-ground plantings. If I did, it would be in Spring and Summer when most foliar growth occurs. Even though Meyer Lemons produce few new leaves in Winter, they do have developing fruit on their branches. My Meyer Lemon harvest is ready to pick in Spring.
Thankyou. Our tree is in-ground as well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am very glad that I took chemistry in school I am not afraid of what people call synthetic fertilizer. Nitrogen is N = nitrogen no matter where it comes from. Phosphorus is P= phosphorus no matter where it comes from. Potassium is K = potassium no matter where it comes from. You can not change the laws of physics. It took me 18 years to learn how to get 14 bushels of good apples on my apple tree. The trick turned out to be FULL sun 12 hours every day and 1 lb of 15-15-15 fertilizer & 1 lb of 46-0-0 fertilizer every Saturday plus 10 gallons of water in a 10 ft diameter circle around the tree. Organic fertilizer is 99% filler your wasting money paying for filler. If you insist on using organic fertilizer put 70 lbs of it on your tree every week.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I am very glad that I took chemistry in school I am not afraid of what people call synthetic fertilizer. Nitrogen is N = nitrogen no matter where it comes from. Phosphorus is P= phosphorus no matter where it comes from. Potassium is K = potassium no matter where it comes from. You can not change the laws of physics. It took me 18 years to learn how to get 14 bushels of good apples on my apple tree. The trick turned out to be FULL sun 12 hours every day and 1 lb of 15-15-15 fertilizer & 1 lb of 46-0-0 fertilizer every Saturday plus 10 gallons of water in a 10 ft diameter circle around the tree. Organic fertilizer is 99% filler your wasting money paying for filler. If you insist on using organic fertilizer put 70 lbs of it on your tree every week.
Glad to hear that technique is working so well for you. Definitely agree with you on good sunlight.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States

When it comes to watering, how often do you water your Meyer Lemon? Typically, I water really well once a week. However, if
there is a better method I'm open to trying it out.

Ask a Question