Chili / Pepper suggestion - mild red chili

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
My wife and kids are wimps with spice but I want some of the look like you would get with rings of red chilis. Any suggestions on a mild red chili? I'd mainly be using these in stir frys, Korean, or Thai style dishes.

Are there smaller sized Italian frying peppers?
Mild Fresno red peppers?
Things I'm not thinking of?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Anaheims and Poblano peppers might be what you are looking for since they are thicker walled. Those are the only two I've tried that are alot milder than jalepenos or cayenne peppers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
The "Numex Joe E Parker" is a nice mild New Mexican chile I grow every year that can be used green or be allowed to mature to red.
They have a thick skin so you definitely want to roast them for a few minutes on a grill or in the oven and peel them before use.
They have wonderful flavor

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
My wife and kids are wimps with spice but I want some of the look like you would get with rings of red chilis. Any suggestions on a mild red chili? I'd mainly be using these in stir frys, Korean, or Thai style dishes.

Mild Fresno red peppers?
If you remove ALL seeds, & all pithy material, they will be a lot milder, so you could get away with a Jalapeno type, & use them hotter for yourself.

Reaction score
Country
United States

Mild Fresno red peppers?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I suggest you look up Scoville ratings on Wikipedia, then click on

Mild Fresno red peppers?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not sure what heat level you can handle. Can you handle jalapenos or something hotter or milder? Regardless, I recommend you google Scoville ratings. Many of these sites provide a list of pepper varieties and their heat level. (Wikipedia has a good but incomplete list.). If you use jalapenos and whether or not you can handle that kind of heat, you can use the the Scoville ratings to find varieties that might satisfy you and your family.

Like you, I was pretty much a heat/spice wimp until a few years ago when I started following the Pioneer Woman on the Food Network. Her recipes challenged me to try hotter varieties of peppers. Last year, I grew Fresno peppers, which can have a Scoville ratings of 2500 to 10,000, whereas jalapenos, if I remember correctly, has a rating of 2500 to 5000. I grew two of them in a big pot, and I was inundated. I used some instead of jalapenos in tacos and tostada's, gave a bunch away, and made a pint of Sriracha with the rest. (It was very tasty, and hubby told me to grow more next year.). I will never grow jalapenos again as I prefer the slightly sweet flavor of the Fresno's.

Best of luck with whatever you choose to grow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anaheims peppers also known as California peppers are very mild. These peppers are used to make enchilada sauce. I grow them specifically to make enchilada sauce. We make enchilada sauce all summer then freeze them in bags of 8 to make enchilada sauce in winter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you can get them try some Hatch peppers from New Mexico. They are similar to Anaheim & Big Jim's if you get the mild ones. They have a more spicy variety that can get quite hot. I'd also suggest serranos, not too hot and pretty consistent unlike Jalapenos.

Ask a Question