Cherry blossom looks unhappy! Anyone can identify what is wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Evening all

I have two cherry blossoms in the garden that look unhappy. I asked the assistant in the garden section at home depot and she said she has no idea. I am planning to call the landscapers if I can't identify it. I really like these blossoms and would rather keep them :)

Can anyone identify what is wrong and even more importantly - is there anything I can do about it?

Pictures enclosed.

Thanks everyone. Happy spring.

Attachments

• 20160228_162555.jpg
    20160228_162555.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 340
  • 20160228_162607.jpg
    20160228_162607.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 333
  • 20160228_162611.jpg
    20160228_162611.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 295
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! Do you know the variety? Also where abouts are you and what is your zone?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Evening all

I have two cherry blossoms in the garden that look unhappy. I asked the assistant in the garden section at home depot and she said she has no idea. I am planning to call the landscapers if I can't identify it. I really like these blossoms and would rather keep them :)

Can anyone identify what is wrong and even more importantly - is there anything I can do about it?

Pictures enclosed.

Thanks everyone. Happy spring.
It could be many things, some worse than others but what ever you do don't call a landscaper. Call a professional arborist............NOW

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok. I am going to embarrass myself and show my ignorance! It is a cherry blossom, comes in spring with pink blossoms and after around 3 weeks or so, all the blossom clears. From then only leaves are left. Some times it also comes back to a light blossom late summer. I am in Kansas city area. I enclosed the picture of the blossom if that helps.

A professional arborist it is then. I will start looking locally. My neighbor mentioned Ryan tree and lawn care. I don't know if these guys are arborists or the equivalent of McDonald's that do a bit of everything. Time to research.

I went to home depot and was so tempted to bring some anti fungal / anti bacterial spray and spray the tree but did not know if that is the right thing to do.

Thanks for all the advise.

Attachments

• 20160322_124144.jpg
    20160322_124144.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 297
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
Netherlands
cherrys are known for having all sorts of cankers, what you're looking at is aged gummosis.

it won't directly kill the tree, but there's no actual cure, their average lifespan isn't much longer than 20 at best anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Landscapers are lawn mowers, shovelers of mulch and compost. They can dig a hole and plant plants. They can water and they can fertilize. But whether they know why or when is a subject of discussion. When it comes to a serious problem, which you have, don't trust them. Here in Texas they are famous as hack, whack and stackers. They are not horticulturists or botanists. They are laborers who have minimal knowledge of the plants they are supposed to take care of.

Reaction score
Country
United States
cherrys are known for having all sorts of cankers, what you're looking at is aged gummosis.

it won't directly kill the tree, but there's no actual cure, their average lifespan isn't much longer than 20 at best anyway.
Thanks Icecold. Is there any thing that will at least delay the inevitable then?

Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United States
Landscapers are lawn mowers, shovelers of mulch and compost. They can dig a hole and plant plants. They can water and they can fertilize. But whether they know why or when is a subject of discussion. When it comes to a serious problem, which you have, don't trust them. Here in Texas they are famous as hack, whack and stackers. They are not horticulturists or botanists. They are laborers who have minimal knowledge of the plants they are supposed to take care of.

Thanks chuck.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
Netherlands
this isn't rocket science, even american landscapers should be able to figure this one out.
Thanks Icecold. Is there any thing that will at least delay the inevitable then?

Thanks
the only thing you can do is remove the diseased wood.

the downside is that you'll get basal shoots from that, and another downside is that it might start sending shoots from the rootstock, as cherry blossoms are grafted.

if you've ever seen a cherry with 2 colors of flower, that's because the rootstock of cherries slowly kills the graft, it's why they don't live very long.

Ask a Question