Check pre using,

• Thread starter Peace perfect peace
  • Start date
P

Peace perfect peace

Greetings Lawn barbers,
Hi folks just a few ideas ref the simple thing ref lawn mowing,
Now as i told you on another page i pass this old ladies cottage and she has a loo outside her front gate "Full" of flowers (looks so different)
But as i turn into the main tarmac road i see a set of house's all modern and with the same look to all of them,
A long lawn with borders on both sides and nothing else,
No problem here !!!!!
They all are cut on a regular basis "but one is'nt cut" its scalped, the mower deck in set far to low and whats even worse is that every turn of the mower can be seen when the mowers been put away,
Im talking about yellow scorch marks caused by having the blade to low and the fact that when the drivers turning the machine around to go in the opposit direction he's leaning over to one side, he may not know this "but he is" and so that blade on that side is closer to the ground than its opposit blade and scalps the grass, and i think the tyres are not inflated correctly,
Lawn mower tyres are not the same covering as a car tyre,
most these days are made of a plastic mix material and really do need tobe checked pre use of the mower,
The cutting setting is better higher rather than lower, (you can always lower if needed but you can't put cut grass back .
A scalped lawn will cause patches when the heat gets to it as the roots are damaged and its not the idea to have a lawn looking its just been scalped or you've a bitch dog that use's the lawn as a loo

Know your lawn,
It wont take you long to know the uneven sections or the sections we're the grass grows slower and you need to adjust the blades as you go,
In my own garden i have two places we're i adjust as i cut

(A) when i had the pool put in the builder dug out the ground for the pool and all the soil was spread over on section of the garden, so this soil / clay mix was'nt top fertile soil "hence the grass in this area "inspite of feeding " is always a little slower in growing and the mower is ajusted when im covering this area,

(B) shady area's
The sun comes early day time in the side area of the house and the orchard is at the opposit end of the house and so this is the cooler section of the grass growing area and the grass here grows faster and thinker 'hence' this area is cut with the blades set (in my case 3 inch) for this large section and 2 inch for the slower parts,
Dont be shy of lifting the complete deck up when your turning around the ride on to cut the next strip, I myself cut the edge areas first and then the up & down sections by doing it this way you can lift the blade as you turn in the already cut section and lower once your in line for the next cut (no turning marks caused)

Hedges and edges
In gardening terms this saying inused,
When you're cutting the main lawn area try cutting the edges with an edging tool and keeping the edges trimmed using the edge cutter, the effect is neat / clean and adds that little something that says "Cared for Lawn" and now here is the border or tree base etc in other words the lawns finished here,
The same can be said for hedging , I have Box hedging around 90% of my lawn "it's about 8 inch high and it's
kept clipped nice and neat and the grass can't grow up the box because its edged 6 inch from the box base,
around one section of the pool ive yellow privit hedge again clipped to 12inch its a back drop for large pots of shrubs /sun lounges / and a statue,
The driveway "60 feet long" (two sides) has a mix horn thorn , Privit / and rose hedging, all clipped regular except the wild rose this is just left to do its natural thing but when it stops producing roses october time then its clipped level with the rest of the hedging And as the years pass this rose grows further along the one side of the driveway "we did'nt even know this rose was here when we bought the farmhouse and the drive was just a wild space,

Feeding the Lawn
If you scalp or cut your lawn to short !!!! not only will it dry out in the sunny periods but weeds will have a field day, they'll have plenty of light and space to take over,
I dont collect the cuttings as a rule except for grass growing high around the gate post or tree's "the places the lawn mowers can't get and the strimmer comes out and deals with this grass growing problem,
these longer cut's go on the compost, But if your cutting regular and cutting short cuttings? then let it go back on the lawn and help feed the lawn, Ive done my lawn cutting this way for years and the lawns got spring in it , Looks good and except for the odd Tap rooted weed that needs tobe dug out, i dont get weeds and feeding the lawn is in my case a spread of epson salts twice a year May/june and September, and a dusting of lime around march,

Remember if your set on being a Lawn barber and scalping your lawn then you'll not need a barbers pole, the Lawn will tell the world for you . :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Ask a Question