Soil Temp Check

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I checked my soil temps this afternoon for an idea of when to plant my seedlings. My garden is all raised beds with EXTREMELY arable soil which warms up faster than most. The temp at 3 inches was 68F, at 6 inches it was 61F and at 9 inches it was 57F. I could plant my direct sown seeds now if I trusted that the weather wouldn't turn cold again. At 61F I could plant my smaller tomatoes but as the roots grow downward they would stop and when you grow tomatoes you do not want to impede growth once it is going good. 65F is the coldest one should plant tomatoes but many folks plant at 60F. My seedling are at least a foot tall and I will plant them DEEP, up to at least the cotyledon leaves and maybe a little higher so I would be in the 57F range which is way too cold. I will check again on the 15th which is the earliest I ever plant The weather is supposed to be in the high 70's - low 80's until at least next Thursday. If the temps are up to marginal by the 15th I will plant 1/2 of my tomato seedlings and the other half on April 1. I know that most folks soil is much colder than mine at this time but I thought I would explain a little about how to take the temperature of your garden when it becomes time.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I always just stick my finger in to see how chilly it is! Very cold - don't start sowing, not too bad - get sowing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How are we doing soil temp wise since the equinox is just past us?
The soil temp at 3 " is 76, at 6" is 72 and at 9" 64. I started planting my tomatoes on Thursday. I see nothing in the way of cold weather in Siberia and Canada that will affect S. Texas. The only thing I can see that might hurt me are the Pacific fronts that are causing all the flooding.

Ask a Question