A way to use ivy as a ground cover for septic drainfield, while keeping it in check - ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I am a novice gardener. I have a back yard maybe 1500 sq ft. which is 90% septic drainfield, and a shallow-rooted ground cover is recommended. I have ivy in the back, climbing a little way up a row of old pines, and reaching a little way into the yard. I plan on putting in a stone path where we walk (only one area of the yard is regularly walked on). Then I was thinking of covering the rest of the yard with the ground cover, and spraying vinegar / salt where I want it to stop. Would this plan work with ivy? I don't know how aggressive my ivy is, but I've owned the house for five years and have only seen it spread a few feet into the yard.

Would the vinegar / salt idea stop the ivy? Is this plan a good one? I have a whole 'nother post up asking for advice on the best ground cover, and maybe it isn't ivy; just thought of this as a possible way to enjoy the ivy but keep it from going where I don't want it. Thanks for all advice!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Myself, I would stay away from planting the Ivy. You have to remember that a drain field works with evaporation as well as percolation. If the ivy gets thick enough, it could impede the evaporation process. The best thing to plant is grass.

Ask a Question