Please check out my Tomato plants: start over or salvage?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please see attached photo of my tomato plants. Rutgers & Matina. This is my first-ever-in-my-life attempt to garden. They are 6"-10" tall and have stems the size of coffee stirrers. I guess I royally screwed up vise via my grow light. I had my grow lights like 6 feet above the plants and I think that was 5' 6" too much. Anyways, when I look at tomato plants at Home Depot they are about 6" tall but have stems the size of McDonald's straws. I wonder if it's worth babysitting my plants or if inevitably they will just die or fail to produce fruit. Opinions would be appreciated!!

Attachments

• IMG_20160511_190840_756.jpg
    IMG_20160511_190840_756.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_20160511_190840_756.jpg
    IMG_20160511_190840_756.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Croatia
Why on earth would you throw your seedlings? They are just a bit taller than "perfect ones" o_O
Every seedling that is not broken can be saved (even broken ones can but that's a hell of a job).

I see your containers are completely full, so take another container, gently take out your seedling, put a very small amount of soil in the container, place the seedling in the container and cover the stem with soil until you are happy with the stem size. The stem in the soil will soon start producing roots. Give it more light and problem solved.
Just be careful not to damage the stem while you cover it with soil. When taking your seedlings out of the container you can use a spoon and scoop the seedling out together with the soil around the seedling so you don't damage the roots.

Also as a first time gardener NEVER compare your seedlings with the ones in stores, the ones in stores usually had perfect conditions and it takes time to learn what "perfect conditions" are in your home environment. (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
All they are is what is called leggy. The plants are just reaching for more light and when it comes time to put them in the ground all you have to do is plant them deeper

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Not sure where you live but I imagine it will be safe to put your babies out in the ground within a few weeks if not now. They're definitely a bit spindly but all is not lost!

I'd do as @Darknessfairy suggests: carefully transplant the more vigorous-looking ones into larger pots. (Use peat pots, which can later be planted right into the soil to reduce transplant stress.) Plant them deep so the soil is within an inch or two of the lower large leaves, you'll get better root growth. And start putting them outside on warm sunny days for a few hours at a time...start with filtered light so they don't get shocked. Gradually increase their outdoor time (don't forget to bring them inside when it cools off!) This will harden them so they'll be acclimated to outdoor conditions when it's time to put them in the garden.

Welcome to the forum, please post updates. :)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I think they look great! Yes, a little leggy but nothing to be too concerned about I don't think. As for my own tomatoes, they're barely peeking out of the ground so I'm fairly certain those are a lost cause. I just might trash those and get starter plants so at least that way I know I'll get some tomatoes this year. On the upside, my peas, carrots and onions are doing great! I'm anxious to actually see some vegetables sprouting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
All I see if very leggy plants. When you go to transplant, transplant deeply so the stem can grow more roots. I think once these guys get in the "grown up" garden they'll take off with growth and what not.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the posts everyone. These are so tall most don't even stand up on their own. I come home at night and 3-4 have fallen over. I already have to use dowels to keep them upright. I didn't have much confidence that they would survive once I went outside. I did try to introduce them to some sunshine last Saturday. I left them for 5 minutes and a gentle breeze blew them all over. I'm going to seriously have to stabilize them when I move them back outside again. I just didn't know if they would even produce fruit given there shaky adolescence. I will re-plant and put a good length of the stem underground. fingers crossed! I won't give up yet

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Bin and start again, otherwise you'll expend much energy, over a lot of time, much of it wasted, to achieve a diminished crop.
You know where you went wrong, new seedlings will very quickly catch up and pass those ones; the cost of seeds is minimal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
You can even use the seeds of your tomatoes that you bought. Just wash the seeds in a sifter, and let them dry out.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
One thing I learned from my dad about starter tomatoes - you can put a small fan on them to strengthen the stems. Set it on one side one day, and the other the next. Better if you can use an oscillating fan. Don't set the fan on high, just enough to make them wave a little.

Hope that helps!

Ask a Question