Changing the color of your blooms

Reaction score
I have some hydrangeas that used to give me bunches of blue/purple flowers .. Now they have become pink.. and sometimes even green.. I added some aluminium sulphate and they are on their way to becoming blue again..
Can you change the colors of other flowers this way.. I see that this works with African Violets.. I added more lime to the soil and my blooms are changing color towards a more pinkish shade.. I would be interested to know if there are other flowers that could be forced to change color by changing the nature of the soil..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's an interesting question, I've never thought about it before. Hydrangeas are a classic example of soil acidity affecting flower colour, there must be others that are affected in a similar way surely!

Reaction score
I wish I could change the colors of some of my pink blooms to blue.. Most of the flowers we have here are yellows, reds and oranges and shades of those.. Blue flowers are rare .. I see that you have so many blue flowers there.. I love the blue Iris, lavender.. (I know it is not blue but one of those shades) lilac, Scilla peruviana, crocuses etc..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Maddie, I recently learned that the acidity of the soil could affect the color of hydrangea, but a quick search just showed that isn't the case with all varieties of hydrangea. I prefer the white and pale blue blooms over the pink ones.

I don't currently grow them myself, but I am hoping to get some this year. I would love to have some tall ones to cut and bring indoors. I want to get at least one blue iris plant as well. My grandmother used to have them in the back yard.

Here's a chart I found about soil pH and hydrangea color:

ql_hc_img1.gif

Reaction score
Maddie, I recently learned that the acidity of the soil could affect the color of hydrangea, but a quick search just showed that isn't the case with all varieties of hydrangea. I prefer the white and pale blue blooms over the pink ones.

I don't currently grow them myself, but I am hoping to get some this year. I would love to have some tall ones to cut and bring indoors. I want to get at least one blue iris plant as well. My grandmother used to have them in the back yard.

Here's a chart I found about soil pH and hydrangea color:

ql_hc_img1.gif
Thanks for that chart.. Yes, it is true that white cannot be changed.. as white means there are no color pigments at all. I would love a deep vivid pink hydrangea. I will keep adding lime to my soil and some aluminium nails.. maybe some coffee grounds too.
Can you please give me the link to this information?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks for that chart... Can you please give me the link to this information?

Maddie, the web page where the chart comes from is http://flowersbulbs.com/ql_hydrangea_color.htm. It's an interesting article. One of the things it points out is that two plants side by side can have different color variations in the same soil. I'm sure you'll have fun with your experiments!

Reaction score
Maddie, the web page where the chart comes from is http://flowersbulbs.com/ql_hydrangea_color.htm. It's an interesting article. One of the things it points out is that two plants side by side can have different color variations in the same soil. I'm sure you'll have fun with your experiments!
Thanks for the link Chanell. That is what I had in mind when I asked you for the link.. I have three hydrangeas at the moment and I plan to increase the PH of the soil to see it it works .. I have started this with two at the moment .. leaving the pink as it is. Let me see how long it takes for the changes to occur if they occur at all. I am really interested in this project, hopefully I don't harm my plants in the process.. i love my hydrangeas so much :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I don't think you will harm them, Maddie. All of your plants are in containers so it's not as if you have to worry about what else is planted nearby. I think if you gradually add the amendments a small amount at a time you can monitor the results (maybe keep a journal to keep track) and you'll know what works for you and what you want to repeat in the future.

Reaction score
I hope not, the journal is a great way to keep track of changes. Let me see.. I just added some coffee grounds..today.. I have added some lime to another container.. lets hope I see some positive changes soon .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, Maddie! When this experiment is over, you'll have to take pictures so that we can see your hydrangea! I wish I knew someone nearby who was growing them so I could get a cutting. They are so lovely!

Reaction score
Thanks Chanell, they are such beautiful plants/flowers. I will post pictures if I am successful :)
I have been trying to add food color to my white carnations.. the plants does not seem to pick up the color.. LOL.. It would be fun.. to see some blue purple colored carnations on my plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Maddie, do you eat beets? I'd bet a little beet juice or purple grape juice would color them and they would more than likely benefit from the sugar in each of those as well. Let me know how it goes :)

Reaction score
Maddie, do you eat beets? I'd bet a little beet juice or purple grape juice would color them and they would more than likely benefit from the sugar in each of those as well. Let me know how it goes :)
I tried the beet juice first before I went to food color :D and ended up having a colony of ants in my hydrangea container.. I had to re-pot the plant and save it from my foolishness. My mom did warn me at that time.. But, I was so hell bent on getting some mauve hydrangeas .. it was a good learning experience for me.. don't ever try that with any of your plants. LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I tried the beet juice first before I went to food color :D and ended up having a colony of ants in my hydrangea container.. I had to re-pot the plant and save it from my foolishness. My mom did warn me at that time.. But, I was so hell bent on getting some mauve hydrangeas .. it was a good learning experience for me.. don't ever try that with any of your plants. LOL

Oh my gosh! I don't want to laugh, but... I meant using beet juice with cut flowers! I would never water a plant with juice from a beet, lol, they are loaded with sugar! Good thing you have that chart now to help you get the colors you want from your hydrangea.

Reaction score
Oh my gosh! I don't want to laugh, but... I meant using beet juice with cut flowers! I would never water a plant with juice from a beet, lol, they are loaded with sugar! Good thing you have that chart now to help you get the colors you want from your hydrangea.

You can ROFLOL .. but then I did that as dumb as I am.. well It just thought it would be like an instant fertilizer and a natural color. Well I learned from my experience.. thank God I was able to save my hydrangeas before much harm could be done.. LoL I don't mind learning the hard way ... but i would hate to harm my plants :/

Ask a Question