Changing the color of your blooms

Reaction score
That is how I grew one of my hydrangeas and some of my daises. I also grew baby's breath one year with some flowers that came with roots. I have been thinking of buying lovely roses and trying the aspirin rooting. Maybe we will get lucky :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
At least with daisies you can collect the seeds from the flower heads after the petals fade. Do hydrangea produce seeds? Maybe it would be easier for me to collect seeds from someone's yard than to try and take a cutting. Of course, growing them from seed could be just as challenging as trying to grow them from a cutting.

I wonder if you made several new plants from the same parent plant if you could get them to turn various colors.

Reaction score
At least with daisies you can collect the seeds from the flower heads after the petals fade. Do hydrangea produce seeds? Maybe it would be easier for me to collect seeds from someone's yard than to try and take a cutting. Of course, growing them from seed could be just as challenging as trying to grow them from a cutting.
I wonder if you made several new plants from the same parent plant if you could get them to turn various colors.
Nope, not that I know of. I always start hydrangeas from cuttings. Yes ,, I have four plants from the same parent plant which had pink flowers when I bought it. Now, I have had them blooming in green, white, pink and almost blue. I wish I could get that exact shade of blue I like. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oooh, Maddie, that must be so exciting! Now I really want some hydrangeas to play with.

I like the white ones, but I also love these colors:

blue-hydrangea-painted.jpg

blue_mophead_hydrangea.jpg

Hydrangea-purple1.jpg

fall-flowers-hydrangea-centerpiece.jpg
lime-green-hydrangea-jumbo.jpg

Reaction score
I love the first blue.. that is the color I am trying to get.
Look at this deep mauve hue
I wish I could get this color..

ClickHandler.ashx

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oooh, that's gorgeous, Maddie! Now I have a new color to add to the list! Not sure where all these are going to live, lol, but it's sure going to be pretty once I figure it out!

How long does it take to root a hydrangea cutting?

Reaction score
Oooh, that's gorgeous, Maddie! Now I have a new color to add to the list! Not sure where all these are going to live, lol, but it's sure going to be pretty once I figure it out!

How long does it take to root a hydrangea cutting?
It takes about a month to forty five days to take root. The woody stemmed plants do take longer than others. I always plant hydrangeas in the soil since I have had them dying on me if I transplant them. They seem to hate being transplanted at least with me. I use a lighter soil with more perlite once it takes root I add the heavier stuff - compost. This works for me.

Reaction score
OMG!!!!!!!!!! This is the most interesting thread ever!!!!! I had no idea we could actually change the colour of our flowers like this! I didn't even think of this as a real possibility... more like a fantasy in my mind, tho. LOL. But seriously, I'm sincere when I say I'm totally blown away at this. I just wish there was a list of the flowers you can experiment on and get good results!!

Reaction score
Maddie, I recently learned that the acidity of the soil could affect the color of hydrangea, but a quick search just showed that isn't the case with all varieties of hydrangea. I prefer the white and pale blue blooms over the pink ones.

I don't currently grow them myself, but I am hoping to get some this year. I would love to have some tall ones to cut and bring indoors. I want to get at least one blue iris plant as well. My grandmother used to have them in the back yard.

Here's a chart I found about soil pH and hydrangea color:

ql_hc_img1.gif

OMG, Chanel!!!! You totally rock!!!!! If I ever get the chance to grow hydrangea, I'm quite sure I'll take a luck at this amazing chart!!! I have actually saved it ;) For future reference, because you never know. I'm just blown away at all the amazing things I'm learning over here!! So interesting!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
OMG, Chanel!!!! You totally rock!!!!! If I ever get the chance to grow hydrangea, I'm quite sure I'll take a luck at this amazing chart!!! I have actually saved it ;) For future reference, because you never know. I'm just blown away at all the amazing things I'm learning over here!! So interesting!

LOL, good luck! I have yet to start with hydrangea and lately I have been so busy I've been neglecting the plants that I do have. I still need to come up with a plan to protect them come January when real winter sets in. Maybe by the time spring comes around I'll finally be able to get my hydrangea. They are so beautiful!

Reaction score
It has to do with acid in your soil. My mother has many Douglas Fir trees on her property, and all the hydrangas she has had came with pink flowers but they turned blue the next year because of the acid from the fir needles in the soil. If you can get a bunch of fir or pine needs to work into the soil around your pink ones, they will turn blue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My miniature rose has changed its color recently. Can it be caused by acid in the soil?
It's such a weird mystery, I would love to solve it. Also, I think it would be really entertaining if I knew how to change the color of my other roses as well:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My miniature rose has changed its color recently. Can it be caused by acid in the soil?
It's such a weird mystery, I would love to solve it. Also, I think it would be really entertaining if I knew how to change the color of my other roses as well:D

That's interesting Claudine. L gave me a potted white mum last fall, and when it bloomed again, the flowers had streaks of purple! I couldn't figure out how that happened since it was the same plant and all I had done up repot it to a larger container. Hydrangea is the only flower I have heard of that you can alter the color by changing the soil and it is a gradual process that takes a long time to occur.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some years ago I drastically pruned my wisteria. At the time I took a cutting and planted it in a container. I finally have blooms on both the original vine and on the cutting (which I'm training into a standard). Remarkably, the two vines are bearing blooms of very different colours! The original plant bears a blue/purple shade while the standard has pinky/lilac flowers. The only explanation I can think of is the different soil. Although I have searched the web and found no evidence that this phenomenon occurs in wisteria, I am convinced soil ph is responsible for the colour change.

Ask a Question