New garden and seasonally changing sunlight

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm starting a new flower perennial garden in area that receives widely varying sunlight levels throughout the seasons. Early in the spring, some sunlight shines through the bare trees. When the sun rises above the treeline during mid May, June, and July, the area receives 5 - 6 hours of sun. By September the spot is shady as the sun dips back below the fully leaved treeline.

Will full sun perennials do okay in this spot or should I opt for partial sun plants? I'm worried that plants that like some shade will get burned during the sunnier months while full sun plants won't get enough sun at the end of summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome ejacob. :) It would help if you put your state or area in your avatar box please. That will give us an idea on your climate for future reference.

Most herbaceous perennials will be fine in full sun but that depends a little on your summer temperatures. Springtime isn't an issue for them as they are only just starting into life at that point. Many shrubs should also be okay unless they need a fully shaded area. Any plant that is stated as needing partial shade I personally would try in full sun as they will get a break each end of the day. It's a case of trial and error, as gardeners we have to take chances and if a plant seems to be suffering then it can be moved.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

The light during the prime months of Summer are most important for most herbaceous perennials, but even then, you only estimate about a half a day of sun. Still, for many ornamental 'sun' perennials this might be enough to put on a good show. I agree, with Sheal that some trial and error is involved, so first pick your favourite varieties of both full sun and half sun perennials (not truly rigid categories anyway) and plant them in your bed. If you don't at least try the ones you like most, you won't be happy anyway.
Later, after you have directly experienced your garden throughout the seasons, you'll be better able to identify favoured spot for light, heat, frost protection, drainage etc. Then you can begin to both move plants to better locations and replace poor performers with new candidates.

Ask a Question