CCCChristmas will be here soon ...

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I wouldn't buy a plant for someone I disliked, it would be a waste of my money. But... If I were to give a plant to a person I disliked, it would be a start from the horrible, awful, most hated cactus I have. :cautious:

(I've had it over a year now, it hasn't bloomed, it's not pretty, and...:eek: it hurts me!!)

The needles are tiny, red, and hundreds of them get stuck in you if you merely brush up against the plant. It doesn't hurt... at first. Over time, they'll irritate your skin and cause a pinkish welt. You can't see them, unless you hold whatever part brushed the plant up against a bright light, then they'll show as short red "hairs" sticking out. The hurt comes as you brush up against anything else. :eek: :cry: To make the misery end, you have to pick them out. All of them. :devil:

And I couldn't buy a plant for anyone I liked. :( They'd see it as a burden. :rolleyes:

I joined this forum to have "plant-people" to talk to!! :D (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
MaryMary, I agree a cactus is an awful gift! Here in Texas cacti grow in fields and have to be removed. We have a particularly evil one called a "horse crippler". You can imagine what that one is like!
I like talking to "plant-people", too. Let the conversations continue!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@MaryMary LOL(y)!

Sometimes, we do have to buy presents for someone we don't like eg some snobs whose eyes only sparkle when you talk about diamond or some relatives who will never laugh at your jokes, but cackle like witches when their own offspring cracks one! I used to endure this every year before my divorce.. Not my mother or father in laws. They were very nice and sensible people. The name dropping gave me earache!

Cactus is lovely. Well, some of them do flower and mine flowers nearly every year.

Haha! I feel so sorry for you. No green-finger friends. I know what you mean. One "friend" bought a plant off me for 50p (she insisted on paying, so I charged the minimum) to deter people doing a 3-point turn in her tiny close. it was only after I visited her house that I realised that the plant was used in such a nasty way. The horrible was that it was better looking than those I kept. No wonder she told me the builder across the road gave her filthy looks. I would give her some myself. There is no way you could turn a car round, let along a van, without reversing into someone's driveway and she happened to have the biggest driveway open.

Nice to have you back. We miss you, just a bit.. we i,e. chatterboxes here! :LOL:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Would not even entertain any space in my brain to think about a gift for someone I did not like. would not even enter my realm of thought.

Sometimes, we do have to buy presents for someone we don't like

I agree with alp, sometimes "obligations to politeness" forces you to give a gift to someone you don't like. Of course, if you have freed yourself of the obligation to be polite, then you may not go through that. YMMV. ;)

I have an in-law that doesn't like me. I tried to like her, but she decided she didn't like me the day we met, and I didn't try very hard for very long. :cautious: :rolleyes:

I've had a few jobs where they did the "Secret Santa" exchange, you know, one of those draw the name out of a hat kind of thing.

I still force myself to be polite. Maybe when I am older I will let the curmudgeonly harridan come to fore, but not just yet. :D

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Esther Knapicius I have been branded as antisocial as I would not talk to this auntie's daughter. Sometimes social niceties or hypocrisies are needed to oil the mechanism of social interaction. I can't really go and dine at this auntie's expense without bringing a present. Boy, I remember how my little bottle of Moet et Chandon sent the other auntie to a high thrill and trill.. she nearly broke the chandelier LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I have an in-law that doesn't like me. I tried to like her, but she decided she didn't like me the day we met, and I didn't try very hard for very long. :cautious: :rolleyes:
Well, Mary, that is her loss. Just tell yourself that. Or she is jealous of you for some shallow immature reason. Mine was not all excited over me, and truly, did not care. I was 36 when I got married to her son, (2nd) marriage. I did not really need her approval over anything, as I was already and still am immersed in a career of my own making, ran a home way prior to this new venture, and cooked better than her. Not that I threw any of that in her face. But if she liked me, good for her, if she did not, her loss. Husband bought the gifts for her, I did not. one time my mother-in-law made the statement that she wished all her children married catholics, (I am not) . I just thought "you old sad women". she is dead now.

Secret Santa" exchange, you know, one of those draw the name out of a hat kind of thing.
Usually I get along and "like" all my co-workers. But I am in an administrative role, not to all, but some, so my demeanor is different, I cannot be buddy buddy with co-workers. that has never been my style. Work, is work. Outside of work I have friends. that is how I roll. Seen too much in my days to know its not a good thing to be "friends" with work people. You can be friendly, but not be friends. Still to this day, my co-workers of now 15 years, have never been inside my home. I have boundaries..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@Esther Knapicius I have been branded as antisocial as I would not talk to this auntie's daughter. Sometimes social niceties or hypocrisies are needed to oil the mechanism of social interaction. I can't really go and dine at this auntie's expense without bringing a present. Boy, I remember how my little bottle of Moet et Chandon sent the other auntie to a high thrill and trill.. she nearly broke the chandelier LOL!
As far as not talking to some daughter, was it intentional, or just overlooked. If I am at a large party, and I don't get to everyone, well, that is just the way it is, not intentional. If your is such need to have me talk with you then you come over and start the conversation. It is a two way street. Not sure what your bottle of Moet et Chandon is---but a gift is a gift. When I give a party, its to visit with my friends first and foremost. Most will bring a bottle of wine. I just thank them, and move on. If she did other wise, or someone there did other wise, then they are down right rude.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Well, we are near France, so even our very old relatives knew what Moet et Chandon was. She has died since. I have never been never a fan of alcohol. And I always asked my visitors not to bring alcohol!

Glad that I made her so happy! Bless her .. I'm glad my mother-in-law was never like that. She saw beyond the names ..

Incidentally, Moet et Chandon is a French champagne.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m...xe7WAhXrK8AKHcguATIQ_AUICygC&biw=1396&bih=660

Other champagnes are available. Hope you know what that is now, @Esther Knapicius !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
India
I just thought of another potential gift
A big sack of premium quality top soil rich in organics and minerals..... mixed with a generous helping of cuscuta seeds....

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I just thought of another potential gift
A big sack of premium quality top soil rich in organics and minerals..... mixed with a generous helping of cuscuta seeds....

@Vishu1708 You do have a funny streak.. Thank you for making me cackle. I have to say it doesn't take a lot for me to laugh..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
India
Vishu1708, I'm lost, please help me out here. :confused: o_O
Cuscuta is a parasitic plant...... after the seed sprouts, the plant grows like a creeper/climber and reaches for the nearest plant. When it reaches a plant, it climbs on to it...... it produces root like stuff called haustoria that enters into a plants stems and uses up the nutrients, while its roots die. It slowly kills the plant by drinking its body fluids and then moves on to the next closest plant.
It is like a mesh of thin ropes that break off easily and even if a few centemeter size is still left on the plant, it will regrow so pulling them off is next to impossible.
The only effective to remove them is to remove the host plant and burn it.

Ask a Question