CCCChristmas will be here soon ...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
India
I totally missed this thread, title does not go along with content.:)

Christmas is far, here in my part of the world we would be having a firework festival on new moon this month (Diwali).:cool:

Give a plant as a gift, last time I gifted an aloe vera (medicinal herb), with good intention but it turned out that person has a blind belief:cautious: (thorny plant create disturbance in family, quarrel, etc).

Next time I visited, I found the same pot with their neighbor:mad:, thriving:rolleyes:. At least they did not threw it away.
I learned my lesson, so from that day on, I give flowers (if you have allergy to any particular flower not my problem, blame the florist) and chocolate slabs (none can deny, all ages can enjoy).

Now a days, fruit bouquet are in trend, its quite amusing. they either carve flowers out of fruits or simply poke whole fruits with stick to make the bouquet.(IDK (n) whether to eat it or keep it).

Anyway gift is a gift, depends solely on receivers attitude. I let my shining star, my little lady:love: choose the gift for family, she know who needs what:LOL:.
I hate that superstition.......
One lady i know had a huge collection of cactus and roses....
Some misfortune befell upon her family.....
Someone told her the exact same superstition "keeping thorny plants in house brings grave misfortune"
She threw away all those amazing plants!! :cry::cry:

Btw isnt diwali celebrated a day early in south, i.e. today?

Wish you and your family a very joyous and prosperous Diwali!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
India
You don't have the unfortunate sounds in your language, I presume. Watch is OK, but Clock .. NO, no, NO! How stupid are we?!
I never thought about that, you know......
I guess it could be c
uz mandarin, cantonese and japanese are tonal languages so lots of stuff sound similar.
We dont have that.

The concept of an 'evil' or 'dirty' or 'unlucky' animal is very wierd to me....
In our culture..... they all are good..... only some are exceptionally better.... like cows, elephants, owls, tigers, swans, pea cocks, monkeys and white mice.
These are not to be killed unless in self defence

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Wish you and your family a very joyous and prosperous Diwali!!!
wishes.jpg

It has already started, I like the way, whole neighborhood come together and clean the street after bursting crackers.

My neighborhood is a mix bag, we have feast on new moon.

I love to watch kids bursting crackers.

Attachments

• Diwali-Greetings.jpg
    Diwali-Greetings.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 204

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Happy Diwali to all!

Are you going to get some money from your parents for Diwali. For our new year, we had red packet of money, new clothes and shoes and presents.. I never follow that in this country. I hate materialism or money worship!

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I never thought about that, you know......
I guess it could be c
uz mandarin, cantonese and japanese are tonal languages so lots of stuff sound similar.
We dont have that.

In our culture..... they all are good..... only some are exceptionally better.... like cows, elephants, owls, tigers, swans, pea cocks, monkeys and white mice.
These are not to be killed unless in self defence

@Vishu1708 Like your new avatar very much ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Happy Diwali to all!

Are you going to get some money from your parents for Divali. For our new year, we had red packet of money, new clothes and shoes and presents.. I don't practise that any more..
That was years back, used to love to visit them, now we have kids to visit us when they get holidays.:ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
India
View attachment 28571

It has already started, I like the way, whole neighborhood come together and clean the street after bursting crackers.

My neighborhood is a mix bag, we have feast on new moon.

I love to watch kids bursting crackers.
Yeah..... you guys are celebrating today, right?
We have diwali/deepavli tomorrow...... today is chhoti diwali.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
India
Happy Diwali to all!

Are you going to get some money from your parents for Diwali. For our new year, we had red packet of money, new clothes and shoes and presents.. I never follow that in this country. I hate materialism or money worship!
Thanks @alp
Diwali is very much similar to chinese new year. Both are based on lunosolar calanders. Red is the choice of color for both.
Crackers, family gatherings, exchanging sweets etc all same .

The new avatar is the single lamp of Dhanteras.
We have 5 day celebration of diwali
1st day is dhanteras when one single lamp is lit. Engaging in commercial activities is encouraged on this day...

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The world is full of irrational and superstitious people.

In our culture..... they all are good.....

Years ago, when I lived in the city, I only had two cats. They were both black. I really thought in this day and age, people would be over their superstition that black cats were bad luck, or even worse, evil. o_O :rolleyes: Between the years 2005-2009, I had three VERY bizarre things happen as a result of those cats. People still believe. :cautious: They can be amazingly hostile...over a black cat!! :eek::eek:

The only superstition I can think of about plants is that I have heard that if someone gives you a plant, you are not supposed to thank them for it, or the plant will die!! :confused: Weird. o_O

Ask a Question