CCCChristmas will be here soon ...

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It wasn't Christmas, but from my 1st marriage,i gave my mother in law, a lot of Daffodil bulbs that didn't flower for me. But she didn't know.

And I thought I knew you! LOL! I'm cackling like a witch.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
No wonder the marriage was doomed. Even your mum disliked her!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
My mother disliked every one that came into the family. I shouldn't have got married in the first place. Too young, but he was 5 years older than me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I understood this post from the first (yah, I'm not as dumb as some think!). We had next door residents once that I was very tempted to give Belladonna and tell them it was lettuce! I didn't, and I still regret it.
Logan, I can't imagine anyone being so dim as to give you up as a spouse.
Keep on posting, all you folks from across the pond, and we'll catch on eventually!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A very hard lesson to learn Logan and I fully sympathize with you; as alp says though you're happy now in spite of your previous hardship; good on you. ;)

When I first met Bron I instinctively knew she was a keeper and no way was I going to let her go. We courted for a few months in secret from my dire family but when I finally took Bron to meet my family the fun started because immediately they turned against Bron. We arranged a mortgage on a semi doing this at Bron's parents with all correspondence going to Bron's parents; once the mortgage was secure and we had a roof over our heads I then informed my family of our impending marriage. That was the final straw; my family refused to attend our wedding and my parents were really nasty to us; by marrying Bron or indeed anyone funds for booze would be severely restricted because I've always been a grafter and never ever missed paying a lot of board to my parents even when I suffered fractures to both legs.

I packed a few things that we could carry then walked 3 miles to my cousins who kindly gave us a lift to our new home; in those days it wasn't the done thing to live together before marriage so I lived in the house for a month on my own with just a bed and four upright dining chairs as furniture; Bron remained at home with her parents.

Our wedding day was absolutely ruined for Bron; Brons parents didn't know how many to cater for but right at the last minute my family arrived as if everything was perfect; I felt truly sickened for Bron this was supposed to be her big day. From then on my parents made our lives a misery; we had as little as possible contact with my family; my father passed away and although I was second eldest it fell on me to sort his estate out; I have two brothers and a sister. About four years ago my mother passed away leaving a detached bungalow; to this day Bron and I have never received a single penny from my parents estate in fact when we married our only present from my family was a food mixer.

At my mothers cremation I was at first very undecided whether to attend but in the end I relented; I sat right at the back with guests because I detest my family; when the service was over I returned home. Since then I've divorced my family and want absolutely nothing to do with them; both brothers and sister survive as far as I know and all three are vultures being money driven. not one of them is happy and would stab anyone in the back for a penny.

Bron and I have paddled our own boat right from first meeting and boy what a wonderful wife I have in Bron who has stood firmly by my side giving me loving support for the last 41 years; no one will ever come between us. This is just a short version but gives an indication of what family life can be like; Bron and I are givers not takers and we are happy; I bet WW3 broke out between my brothers and sister when my mother died as they fought over the bungalow. Good riddance to the lot of them I never ever want to see them again; it was well worth losing my inheritance because at last we can relax.

I fully retired in 2000 aged 53 on a final salary pension which Bron and I paid a lot of money into; now we are both a burden upon society being of state pension age it's Christmas day every day for us; we've endured many years of distress and hardship but now we enjoy an enviable lifestyle in our own detached bungalow and can afford a new car every three years all without the slightest outside help from anyone. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Wow Colin! Up 'til now I thought my husband and I (46 years happily married, at least happily for me!) had the worst wedding ever. The two soon-to-be brothers-in-laws had a bet going on how long the marriage would last; my side of the family didn't talk to his family; my sister, whose wedding dress I was wearing, told me at the reception to not spill anything on it because she wanted to use it for her daughters. The top layer of the cake was to be frozen and saved for our first anniversary (take that, bros-in-law) but my sister's family ate it. We should have eloped.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Logan; Bron and I are stronger for all the troubles and we are fiercely independant.

You too have had a hard time of it marlingardner but good on you and your husband sticking together in spite of everything.

Living with my parents and brothers and sister up to me getting my first wage packet at the age of 15 couldn't have been better; my problems started as soon as I started to earn money; I think I must have been about 18 before I opened my own wage packet; my parents would demand my unopened wage packet then give me pocket money; I was a prisoner with nowhere else to go.

In later years my younger brother gave in to booze being an alcoholic; he stole my trolley jack and all my garage tools selling them to fund his habit; I ended up having to buy a big padlock to lock the garage against my own family. My parents were drinkers and when drink was in they became stupid; my younger brother would return home when the pubs closed and end up scrapping with my father; the police intervened a few times.I couldn't possibly hide anything and no chance of a bank account because money was stolen from my pockets and whilst I was at work the family had free access to everything; to get around this I started to go into heavy debt buying firstly powerful motorcycles then cars; this way my parents knew a lot of my money was committed; I still couldn't save anything; Bron and I saved the deposit for our house at Bron's parents. I was embarrassed to visit local stores; on one occasion I popped into a local store for sweets parking my pride and joy BMW motorcycle at the kerb; there was a long queue; at the counter in a loud voice the store owner said to me "how come you can ride that bike when your father owes me so much money" on the day of my father's funeral my late mother handed me a letter to read; the bailiffs were due that day to recover a £350 debt owed to an estate agent; I phoned the estate agent and explained my father had passed away but the estate agent said he had been messed around so much by my parents that the debt was in both my parents name so the debt would stand; Bron and I cancelled the bailiffs guaranteeing payment in full. Families in my day never washed their dirty linen in public but I think I was switched at birth.

I've done two outstanding things in my life; to marry Bron whom I love to bits and to walk down the works yard away from an highly stressful job to retire aged 53.

Enough of this because time now to really enjoy life with Bron to the full; Bron isn't just my wife she's my best friend.

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I understood this post from the first (yah, I'm not as dumb as some think!). We had next door residents once that I was very tempted to give Belladonna and tell them it was lettuce! I didn't, and I still regret it.
Logan, I can't imagine anyone being so dim as to give you up as a spouse.
Keep on posting, all you folks from across the pond, and we'll catch on eventually!

Considering your harvest, how can you be dumb? I really want to show off a harvest like that ... eggs and all that.. I so want to keep my own chicken rather than eating hormone infested two legs.. confined to a tiny space and their knuckles caked in their own excrement.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Logan; Bron and I are stronger for all the troubles and we are fiercely independant.

You too have had a hard time of it marlingardner but good on you and your husband sticking together in spite of everything.

Living with my parents and brothers and sister up to me getting my first wage packet at the age of 15 couldn't have been better; my problems started as soon as I started to earn money; I think I must have been about 18 before I opened my own wage packet; my parents would demand my unopened wage packet then give me pocket money; I was a prisoner with nowhere else to go.

In later years my younger brother gave in to booze being an alcoholic; he stole my trolley jack and all my garage tools selling them to fund his habit; I ended up having to buy a big padlock to lock the garage against my own family. My parents were drinkers and when drink was in they became stupid; my younger brother would return home when the pubs closed and end up scrapping with my father; the police intervened a few times.I couldn't possibly hide anything and no chance of a bank account because money was stolen from my pockets and whilst I was at work the family had free access to everything; to get around this I started to go into heavy debt buying firstly powerful motorcycles then cars; this way my parents knew a lot of my money was committed; I still couldn't save anything; Bron and I saved the deposit for our house at Bron's parents. I was embarrassed to visit local stores; on one occasion I popped into a local store for sweets parking my pride and joy BMW motorcycle at the kerb; there was a long queue; at the counter in a loud voice the store owner said to me "how come you can ride that bike when your father owes me so much money" on the day of my father's funeral my late mother handed me a letter to read; the bailiffs were due that day to recover a £350 debt owed to an estate agent; I phoned the estate agent and explained my father had passed away but the estate agent said he had been messed around so much by my parents that the debt was in both my parents name so the debt would stand; Bron and I cancelled the bailiffs guaranteeing payment in full. Families in my day never washed their dirty linen in public but I think I was switched at birth.

I've done two outstanding things in my life; to marry Bron whom I love to bits and to walk down the works yard away from an highly stressful job to retire aged 53.

Enough of this because time now to really enjoy life with Bron to the full; Bron isn't just my wife she's my best friend.

Kind regards, Colin.

Good heavens... Colin, you're amazing.. Such a nice man .. Can't believe the traumas you've been through with your family.. When my son went to uni, I was really worried as they would do last man standing in the pubs and school activities would be pub session to finish the evening off. I hate people drinking excessively. Your mum must have got the wrong baby home.

I'm so glad that you can retire at 53.. and have the lovely company of a soul mate. You can finally live in bliss. .. Enormous respect from me!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
If you were to buy someone you disagreed with a plant, what would that be? Spill the beans, .. er.. who is it? No, war is not out yet (according to the news, wars are on on every day :eek:!), so please don't get carried away!

OK! Also, what plant(s) would you buy for your most beloved please?
in answer to this question. I would not buy a plant for anyone at Christmas as its too cold to do anything with it at that time. This person I disagreed with, what would I disagree with that person about. Its only a "disagreement" not a total break up of friendship. Anyway, currently, I am down to very few to buy for. Most of my friends have all they will ever need and want. We are in the throw out stage of our lives. A bottle of wine is what is wanted. I don't even send Christmas Cards out anymore.

Ask a Question