Can you recommend a fool-proof perennial with long flowering period please?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday was autumn equinox (ah, what's that?? Hehe!) and I want to have 10 plants of the above so that I don't have to fret about this and that.

I would like to have something tough, low maintenance, drought-resistant, aphid-resistant, and something not too massive or invasive.

No point enslaving myself trying to look after a plant .. The plant might not suit my climate, but don't worry - it is a platform for sharing experiences..

Any suggestions welcome and your input is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Top of the list would be aster frikartii monch......easy, pest resistant, flowers forever. Wunder von Stafa (oops! I need to check the spelling there!) is a slightly shorter version.
Sanguisorba lilac Squirrel.....wonderfully tactile with no vices. Superb foliage too.
The dwarf popsickle kniphofias too flower for weeks...check out Mango.
Rudbeckia Goldsturn spreads a bit but easily controlled
Persicaria amplecaulis varieties like Dikke Floskes has red spires of flowers from spring to late autumn. Makes a big plant.
You said you like heleniums alp.....El dorado is the longest flowering variety of them all. Yellow flowers smother the plant for ages
Gaura like Papillion and the variegated Corries Gold will produce white flowers in huge abundance for a very,,very long time......put this with the persicaria for a striking show all summer :)
There you go alp.....I will let others get a word in now. (Although I could go on and on and.....:whistle:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Verdun Ah, yes, gaura is really good. I have a pink and a red one and the pink is just no trouble at all. It has flowered for a long long long time!

Yes, I remember the name El dorado as well. But such specific plants need to be bought in nurseries. I will certainly keep a notes of these beauties.

I have two asters but no flowers and I nearly pulled them out thinking they were weeds:eek:

Thank you so much ..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_3272.JPG
A quickie of A.F. Monch

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Agree with Monch :) what about Agastache? Drought tolerant and aphid/snail/slug/pest free practically. Black Adder will love your soil and dry conditions

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Verdun what is the red patch of beauty next to the aster please? When I was watching Adam Frost garden, I said to myself, Verdun's one is much better. Look at the variegated leaves, the red and the aster. I don't know the name of the mass in the front and I won't use it as I have only got a small garden. But the combo and compo are just stunning.

@Mark56 I actually saw one agastache on sale in the diy gc. I must keep a sharp eye out as I never knew they are so good. I like your orange one more though.. Actually, that's the one I saw and I was amazed. I think it must be Homebase. I will keep a hawk eye on the price and see if I can get one. Thank you as I have learned something today.

Ask a Question