Calladium dying

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all. I am distressed. I love Caladiums! I have some in my yard that I dug up from a creek and they come back every year. There was no species ID but I will post a picture below. I have been watering once a week, but the soil seems dry when checking in between. I am terrified of overwatering bc I have lost plants this way. I think the pot may be too small for the plant. It is 4" tall and 6" across. It is in a very spongy soil mix which seems to dry out quickly. It is in indirect sun.
IMG-1906.jpg
IMG-1908.jpg
IMG-1909.jpg
IMG-1910.jpg
Now the leaves are drying out and dying, one by one. Please help.

Attachments

• IMG-1907.jpg
    IMG-1907.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Country
United States
The plant pictured appears to be a type of Alocasia, not Caladium. Both genera are Aroids (Araceae) and require similar care, though Caladium are usually obligately dormant in Winter, while most Alocasia can remain evergreen if temperature and other care is sufficient year-round. Caladium is native to Central America and tropical South America. Alocasia is native to southern and southeastern Asia, Sri Lanka, Hainan, Taiwan, southern Japan, Philippines,
Indonesia, New Guinea, Solomon Islands, and Queensland

Such an Alocasia will want bright indirect light or part sun. The soil must drain well but irrigation should be regular and the soil must stay partly moist. It will benefit from a regular application of a complete, liquid fertilizer.

The plant does not seem large enough to require a larger container, but do unpot the plant to inspect the soil and pot for drainage issues. It is certainly good not to overwater, but also do not let the soil become overly dry. Also, consider moving the plant closer to the Window.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The plant pictured appears to be a type of Alocasia, not Caladium. Both genera are Aroids (Araceae) and require similar care, though Caladium are usually obligately dormant in Winter, while most Alocasia can remain evergreen if temperature and other care is sufficient year-round. Caladium is native to Central America and tropical South America. Alocasia is native to southern and southeastern Asia, Sri Lanka, Hainan, Taiwan, southern Japan, Philippines,
Indonesia, New Guinea, Solomon Islands, and Queensland

Such an Alocasia will want bright indirect light or part sun. The soil must drain well but irrigation should be regular and the soil must stay partly moist. It will benefit from a regular application of a complete, liquid fertilizer.

The plant does not seem large enough to require a larger container, but do unpot the plant to inspect the soil and pot for drainage issues. It is certainly good not to overwater, but also do not let the soil become overly dry. Also, consider moving the plant closer to the Window.
Thank you. I did get the fertilizer and found a window w indirect light. I misread your comment about unpotting the plant until rereading now. How would I look for drainage issues? Brown roots?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, look for discoloured or rotting roots as well as fully saturated soil that cannot or does not drain.

Ask a Question