Please tell me how can I save my dying plants?

Reaction score
Country
United States
One of my avocado plants got rot rotten two months ago and since then it has spread to all my other avocado plants. I have tried everything I can find online to cure the root rot including adding Perlite to the potting soil; repotting the plants in new soil after cleaning much of the rotted roots; using clay pots for better oxygen penetration; reducing the frequency and the amount of water added every week and adding a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution every time I water the plants. Unfortunately, everything I have done seems to have not helped the plants and I'm out of ideas. I have been growing these avocado plants from seeds for almost a year and it pains me to see them slowly getting devoured by this virulent root rot disease. Any advice on how to deal with this would be much appreciated.

20220208_114403.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

It would be good to see a close-up shot of a diseased leaf, but it looks like your Avocados (Persea americana) have Powdery Mildew.

You can use Neem Oil to treat it, or a similar product. Even washing the leaves with water can help.

However, the underlying cause of this condition is likely insufficient light and humidity from being indoors.

I'm sure its too early in the year in New York to put the plants outside, but try placing the plants in a sunny window, as bright as you can manage. Even setting them outside for a couple hours on a warm afternon might help, though of course bring them in before nightfall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
And stop repotting and cleaning the soil off. That does more damage than anything else. Root rot is not a contagious disease. It is a manifestation of improper care. Avocados are difficult to keep happy as indoor plants long-term. They want/need full sun, moist soil with lots of air in it, and nice warm tropical temperatures. Good air circulation helps prevent mildew.

Ask a Question