Cactus help!

D

dulcieca_x

I'm not sure whether this is salvageable but the other night I noticed my cactus was dropping. Figuring I'd de-pot it and check if I'd over-watered and check for root-rot and noticed a massive wound in the side of the main stem (I think possibly the weight got to it).

I'm a new plant mum so forgive me if I've committed a sin in this next bit but I googled whether cacti can grow roots and discovered they can so I re-potted the main stem without roots and thoroughly watered it.

I'm on a uni budget but are there any ways I can encourage it to grow roots and also prevent this from happening again?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Please post pictures of the cactus and the wound.
If it is a rotting wound, it must be excised. If only the tip of the cactus stem is salvageable, it should be cut off and allowed to callus before being repotted to attempt rooting.

D

dulcieca_x

Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Please post pictures of the cactus and the wound.
If it is a rotting wound, it must be excised. If only the tip of the cactus stem is salvageable, it should be cut off and allowed to callus before being repotted to attempt rooting.

Had to look a few of those up, thanks for the help! I think I've accidentally managed to excise it but attached some pictures anyway. It's in the original soil at the minute but would it be better for it to just sit in the pot with no soil while it forms the callus?

Attachments

• Mendelssohn 1.jpg
    Mendelssohn 1.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 26
  • Mendelssohn 2.jpg
    Mendelssohn 2.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Mendelssohn 3.jpg
    Mendelssohn 3.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 21
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, leave the cactus stem unpotted for a week or so and then re-pot it. Water sparingly at first, more deeply as daylight increases in Spring. Always let the soil mostly dry before irrigating again.

Also make certain drainage is excellent. For instance, never let the plant sit in a saucer puddle. In this regard, your potting soil is not ideal for a cactus. Either get pre-made cactus & succulent mix or modify your current soil by mixing in a generous amount of pumice, perlite, or coarse sand, about 50% of the total volume.

I'm not certain which type of cactus you have, perhaps an Echinopsis species. Please do post a photo if it blooms.

Last edited:

Ask a Question