Christmas cactus help

Reaction score
My Christmas cactus is drooping. I have it setting in a window so it can get sunlight (there is a shade on the window if that matters). I think I water it pretty regularly, but I'm always afraid of overwatering a plant because I have done many in over the years by doing this. It just looks droopy and is starting to look a bit discolored, like a lighter green on the ends. I think it needs water now, but how often should I be watering this plant?

Reaction score
Daisy, this is a succulent and over watering leads to root rot. Don't water the plant until the top soil is dry. The plants needs a bit of humidity .. maybe you could cover it in a clear plastic and leave it in a sunny area. I have had one of my Christmas cactuses die due to overwatering. I haven't found a replacement for it.

Reaction score
Thank you maddie for the tips. I will try covering it with plastic and hopefully it will perk up soon. It's kind of a sad looking plant. I hope you can find a replacement for yours soon. I think they are beautiful when in bloom and they are one of my favorite plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi i saved my first Christamas cactus a few months back when my sister left and just left it to die in the frost . It is now doing really good and i have 4 nice cutting started and growing good now.
I am becoming obsessed with them now,lol .
I have this COOL idea to see if any other cactus lovers would be willing to send a cutting or 2 and include your name and location (location is fine ) So i can put this on the pot forever and any cutting from the mother plant would include this also if given away in the future . Any colors . SEND TO : Steven Steiner P.O.Box 47 Pelkie , MI. 49958 "God Bless you all and our little cacti"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
You're likely watering it too much. They thrive with a bit of neglect. I only would water mine once a week in the hottest summer months. Usually only 1-2 times in the winter. What I did at first was to just not water it, but check on it twice a day. I would feel the leaves and see if they were still plump. When they started to shrivel, I would give it water. After a few times of that, I got down how often I should be watering them. Do you have it in a container where the water can drain down? If not, you might want to switch containers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My mom kept her Christmas cactus plant on a divider, which is far away from the window and from the direct sunlight for years now, but they are doing quite well and bloomed at least once a year. She tends to over water them too, but they survived after a long struggle. Now, she only waters them once a week.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I water the Christmas cactus I have once a week. It has not grown but it is still alive so I am happy.

Ask a Question