Is my moon cactus dying ? HELP

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is my first cactus ! I’ve had it for about 8 months. It was a bright deep pink color. I only water it when the soil is dry & I have it on my bedside table , I do have a window near that area. Over time, I noticed the color getting lighter & I tried to save it . But now it looks like half of the plant is drying & the the green stem has gotten much lighter & soft with some rotting parts & I can see through it ! Is it dead ? Or should I bring it to the plant store to change the soil ? I inserted some pics of when I first bought it & how it looks now ! Please help ! Thanks

Attachments

• 282F0729-0B82-42B9-8AD8-9B991312018D.jpeg
    282F0729-0B82-42B9-8AD8-9B991312018D.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 480
  • 52779823-441D-4A7B-A3B6-0D7A8390EE26.jpeg
    52779823-441D-4A7B-A3B6-0D7A8390EE26.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 411
  • 6FAA7B81-2F41-420A-8652-1F51E7DA2ACB.jpeg
    6FAA7B81-2F41-420A-8652-1F51E7DA2ACB.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 1,897
  • 6D940B3C-ABFA-4BB6-9B2C-C399D49ACD4C.jpeg
    6D940B3C-ABFA-4BB6-9B2C-C399D49ACD4C.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 415
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the site Pmonroe ,...........Yes Looks like both the lower & Upper Grafts are Dead or Dyeing. Vary Little Hope of Saving it Sorry to say. In My Experience Grafted Cacti Never last vary long unless your Vary lucky. You Could try removing the orange heads that still have some Colour with a sharp knife. then leave them upturned for 24hour until calloused over (unless they look rotten inside, that is?..If so its Dead) Once Callousing is Done Just sit them in some Gritty sand & Don't water till you see Roots. Leave them for a further month then repot in 3 part sand,soil & Grit Never over water Cacti. Leave & forget them in winter..............If you really need to water them Cut out the bottom of your watering can in wither then water;) in Summer water a little Every 10 to 14 days (once a month if fine) but make sure the pot can drain freely or they will just rot. Don't give up Cacti are great plants to grow & if they flower they can be lovely to see(y)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the site Pmonroe ,...........Yes Looks like both the lower & Upper Grafts are Dead or Dyeing. Vary Little Hope of Saving it Sorry to say. In My Experience Grafted Cacti Never last vary long unless your Vary lucky. You Could try removing the orange heads that still have some Colour with a sharp knife. then leave them upturned for 24hour until calloused over (unless they look rotten inside, that is?..If so its Dead) Once Callousing is Done Just sit them in some Gritty sand & Don't water till you see Roots. Leave them for a further month then repot in 3 part sand,soil & Grit Never over water Cacti. Leave & forget them in winter..............If you really need to water them Cut out the bottom of your watering can in wither then water;) in Summer water a little Every 10 to 14 days (once a month if fine) but make sure the pot can drain freely or they will just rot. Don't give up Cacti are great plants to grow & if they flower they can be lovely to see(y)
Thanks for your reply ! It unfortunately died ! I woke up the next day and the whole thing was soft, the pink part turned brown and it was bending over ! I hope to get a new one and not water it so much! Thanks for the help !

Reaction score
Country
India

Can you help me out with a similar problem,the head is hard,like how it's suppose to be

Ask a Question