MoonShadow's Greenhouse

I've posted pictures here and there of my greenhouse which we started in the Summer of 2015, but actually didn't get built until the Spring of 2016. This showcase shows how it has gone from the beginning until now.
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
MoonShadows submitted a new Showcase Item:

MoonShadow's Greenhouse

I've wanted a greenhouse for quite some time, and it wasn't until I had a "side line" website selling yard structures (gazebos, patio covers, carports and greenhouses) that I decided to buy one myself. I bought one made by the Sunshine Gardenhouse company out of Washington State, USA. It is one of their Mt. Rainier Series measuring 8' x 16' and made from Redwood with Polycarbonate Panels. At it's peak, it is 10' tall, has two Dutch Doors and two Roof Vents. As a retailer (drop shipper) for them, I was able to get it for wholesale.) You can read more about the structure here at http://www.gardenhouse.com/greenhouse-kits/mt-rainier-group/.

While it is well-made and I have enjoyed this greenhouse for the past 2 years, if I knew then what I know now, I probably would have gone a different route. I really wanted the greenhouse to extend our growing season in the Fall right up to the very cold weather and start off as early as I could in late Winter again...in other words, at least a 10 month greenhouse. Unfortunately, I really knew very little about greenhouse insulation and heating and taking advantage of solar energy and thermal mass. As a result, I have started making many modifications as you will see in this showcase, and will continue to make modifications as time goes on.

I'll start off with the original preparation and building, then move to what I have done/am doing to use this greenhouse over more months.

Here is a picture taken this past Summer, just so you can see the finished structure. You can see how the redwood is slowly turning a silvery-gray as it weathers. We decided to let it do that rather then sealing it, which would have to be repeated every few years.
View attachment 30070

But let's start at the beginning.....
We started by digging out the foundation. You can see in this picture the 6 x 6's that were to be the foundation.
View attachment 30071

View attachment 30072

View attachment 30073

And, laying down a bed of screenings (finely crushed rock and rock dust)

View attachment 30074

View attachment 30075

And because we started so late in the season, and one thing led to another, that all we got done in the Summer of 2015. So, our chickens decided to make this dirt pile one of the favorite hangouts. Here is a picture of what the area looked like come Spring of 2016....a bit of a mess!
View attachment 30076

So, we started moving the dirt away, laying and leveling the...

Read more about this showcase item here...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Great work @MoonShadows - you're really neat in your work. I like the idea of the solar water heater - quite an advanced thing for a greenhouse and great fun to build :).

How much of a difference has adding the foil made - can you feel a change when you walk in there? I know it's a little early to tell, but perhaps you've noticed a slight change.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks, Ian! It's a lot of fun!
Yes, the foil insulation and other things have helped. I have remote thermometers outside, in the greenhouse and under the cold frame cover. Right now, it is 27F outside. The greenhouse is 35F and under the cold frame cover, it is 40F. That my not sound like much, but it can make all the difference in whether plants will survive. The ground insulation and solar water heater should greatly improve these numbers. The foil insulation is also increasing the light intensity.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
vary nice Moonshadows, I've always wanted a Timber greenhouse & love your eco Heating. Its the way forward. your be potting up in the warmth of your greenhouse while the cold is still biting outside:)

Ask a Question