Cactus identification help please :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Can anyone help shed some light on what this (octopus-like) cactus is, please?

Thank you in advance :)

Attachments

• WIN_20150809_135356.JPG
    WIN_20150809_135356.JPG
    268.2 KB · Views: 379
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
No idea I'm afraid, but your description of 'octopus-like' is very accurate!

Welcome to the forums :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
that looks similar to the Purple Canes Cholla Cactus which grows in Arizona, although it does not seem to be as vibrant in color. I am inclined to think that it might be a similar species. I have always felt there is something very beautiful about the cacti and succulents, although I have never tried my hand at a purple one. I think that might be a goal now :love: Anyone can grow jade, hens and chickens or snake plants. But a purple octopus? I am so there

Reaction score
Oh I feel melancholic looking at that, I have seen a lot like this cactus in my area, up in the mountains but in green, I never saw them in purple :eek: I never knew what they were called officially here :( I saw so many cactus daily growing in the wild, suddenly all cacti became just that :oops::oops::oops:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Thank you Mockingbird, there were only a few images on Professor Google but I can see the similarities. The purple in those cactus' is beautiful! I agree with you - there is something very beautiful about cacti and succulents. I inherited a unique little succulent when a colleague left the firm I work in and every day I admired it, and the little changes that happened each day aaand I fell in love, or into addiction, with plants and am now building quite a collection.
Make it your goal, do it, do it, do it - peer pressure. :) Document your way through it - I would love to see the growth 'journey' from a baby purple octopus into a mumma of a purple octopus.. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Most cactus' I've seen are green (and red), never a purple one, Trellum. Understandable, all plants were just plants (no offence to anyone) to me until I started growing them! :)

Ask a Question