Bug (mosquito) repellant plants, continued!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi all, I was reading through this post from 2014, and wondered if catnip is still the go-to for mosquito repellant plants? I'm trying to figure out what plants I should have around our outdoor gathering spaces for more bug-free comfort. Any recommendations?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Here's what I use in my garden and rank at least as effective if not more so than catnip: 1) Allium, 2) Marigolds, 3) Mint 4) Lantanna 5) Basil, 6) Garlic 7) Onions.

I have rainwater collection barrels around my garden which are mosquito breeding haunts, but have virtually zero mosquito problems and I attribute that to the above plants.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Maybe some pictures of my budding "army" of mosquito repellants would help?

Basil interspersed. with tomatoes and tomatillos:
basil.JPG

An entire 80 ft row of 4 different varieties of Marigolds coming on next to squash, cucumbers, and navy beans:

marigolds.JPG

Mint growing with peppers, sugar peas, and potatoes:

mint.JPG

Lantanna:

lantanna.JPG

Garlic (front right) and Onions and onions oh my:

garlic and onion.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Wow, I just talked about this on another thread. I use an electric hand racket for swatting mosquitoes and I also leave my rain buckets open and allow the mosquitoes to lay eggs, then I dump them when there are a bunch of larvae. I don't have near the problem with them, like I use to, I think mostly because of the buckets. The electric swatter is just for fun...and it's a lot of fun:D

I've never tried using plants to deter them.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Encourage the birds. Mosquitoes and gnats get eaten all day long by 'willy wagtail' and 'grey fantail'. I have 50 resident sparrows and about six or more types of small birds that must be controlling the mozzies because there aren't many around.
Birds like trees, nectar, water baths, caterpillars and all insect life.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe some pictures of my budding "army" of mosquito repellants would help?

Basil interspersed. with tomatoes and tomatillos:
View attachment 102550

An entire 80 ft row of 4 different varieties of Marigolds coming on next to squash, cucumbers, and navy beans:

View attachment 102551

Mint growing with peppers, sugar peas, and potatoes:

View attachment 102552

Lantanna:

View attachment 102553

Garlic (front right) and Onions and onions oh my:

View attachment 102554

I think that Meadowlark has made such a good point of promoting the whole importance of organic gardening. If only we could all do it this way (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow, I just talked about this on another thread. I use an electric hand racket for swatting mosquitoes and I also leave my rain buckets open and allow the mosquitoes to lay eggs, then I dump them when there are a bunch of larvae. I don't have near the problem with them, like I use to, I think mostly because of the buckets. The electric swatter is just for fun...and it's a lot of fun:D

I've never tried using plants to deter them.
I'll have to have a good stack of plants, along with a bucket and a handy dandy swatter for the days where I just feel like hitting something XD Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Encourage the birds. Mosquitoes and gnats get eaten all day long by 'willy wagtail' and 'grey fantail'. I have 50 resident sparrows and about six or more types of small birds that must be controlling the mozzies because there aren't many around.
Birds like trees, nectar, water baths, caterpillars and all insect life.
I (and apparently my daughter as well) love birds, so this is my next goal! I just have to keep the squirrels from interfering too much...

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dare I mention the mighty web. An engineering fete that plucks insects out of the air.

Ask a Question