Bug repellant plant?

Reaction score
Anyone know of any plants the can help repel bugs? It would be great if they where easy on the eye as well. I am looking for some to add to my new outdoor patio. I am hoping to enjoy my summer sipping tea and reading outside..without those pesky bugs!

Reaction score
Two suggestions I have for you are marigolds and garlic. It depends on what else you are planting and the type of bugs you are trying to repel.

Reaction score
I am not sure on the exact name, but the citronella plant smells awesome. It is suppose to repel mosquito's, and I can not think of a bug that is more of a pest! I am wanting to get a couple of them this year, the smell is so lovely. It kind of reminds me of a citrus fruit. I believe you can also rub the leaves on you, as a natural repellent.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
lemon verbena and lemon grass besides the lemon smell the keep the mosquito's away

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just read a blog where the lady used garlic to rid her garden of mosquito's.

She uses dry garlic and spreads it around the plants that need to be de-bugged.

Reaction score
It also depends as was mentioned about what is planted. Companion planting is a good way to repel bugs. It works best in pot plants all together so how far away from each other is often a factor for how successful or not it is. For instance, basil and tomatoes (just like they do picked to eat together) go together very well for bugs. I've had good luck with marigolds planted near various plants. When they loose their bloom, and it's time to pinch them off, I pinch them off and use them around other plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b/ 8a
Country
United States
I have this variety of citronella planted next to my sour leaf, which pests love. Thus far the leafy green is virtually bug free, and have moved strands of the citronella next to my kale and cabbage hoping for the same effect. We have planted marigold as well, though I can't say it works as great as the citronella. I'm not sure if mint is a repellant but I never see it get eaten by bugs.

Attachments

• 1plot9.jpg
    1plot9.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 339
Reaction score
If looking a bug repellant plant that deters all biting insects including mosquitoes - you can't do any better than Catnip - as apart from filling the air with its fresh but subtle scent - it is one of the best natural insect repellents around and is in fact - actually far more effective than any of the commercially made products and much safer too :)

Its quite versatile too - as apart from dotting Catnip plants around the garden in pots and hanging baskets to keep the insects at bay - you can also use it as a body wipe by crushing the leaves and rubbing it on your skin - however if you own a cat - you need to be aware that if you use Catnip as a body wipe - you will for sure - find that your cat becomes extra, extra friendly towards you :D oh and another great way of using it - which I have also found to be very effective - is to crush the leaves and use them like a fresh potpourri and place the bowls on tables and surfaces close to where we are sitting.

Reaction score
My lemon verbena is getting eaten. It's not stripped yet,but the way it's going, it reminds me of how grasshoppers take a plant. I haven't seen any of them yet, it's a bit too early for them, but I will be bringing it into the house, I'm hoping a Western facing window with sheer curtains will be ok on light. It's such a favorite of mine, I am not going to loose it because it's grown bushy. Yay. It's delicious, a good bug deterrent, and the smell is so intensely good too. I love the lemon plant smells, they smell 'real'.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If looking a bug repellant plant that deters all biting insects including mosquitoes - you can't do any better than Catnip - as apart from filling the air with its fresh but subtle scent - it is one of the best natural insect repellents around and is in fact - actually far more effective than any of the commercially made products and much safer too :)

Its quite versatile too - as apart from dotting Catnip plants around the garden in pots and hanging baskets to keep the insects at bay - you can also use it as a body wipe by crushing the leaves and rubbing it on your skin - however if you own a cat - you need to be aware that if you use Catnip as a body wipe - you will for sure - find that your cat becomes extra, extra friendly towards you :D oh and another great way of using it - which I have also found to be very effective - is to crush the leaves and use them like a fresh potpourri and place the bowls on tables and surfaces close to where we are sitting.

Catnip has had studies (as if we need studies to tell us what we already know, lol) that says it's stronger than deet. Of all the plants /essential oils, catnip is the strongest and most efficient studies say as a bug deterrent. but my experience does too. :) I don't have any cats right now. But when I did, it was impossible to know where to plant them or put the pot. If I put it down low, it got laid in, if I put it up higher, it got either laid in but usually knocked over as well. Once, one of them made babies on it's own the second year, and died on the third.

Reaction score
Catnip has had studies (as if we need studies to tell us what we already know, lol) that says it's stronger than deet. Of all the plants /essential oils, catnip is the strongest and most efficient studies say as a bug deterrent. but my experience does too. :) I don't have any cats right now. But when I did, it was impossible to know where to plant them or put the pot. If I put it down low, it got laid in, if I put it up higher, it got either laid in but usually knocked over as well. Once, one of them made babies on it's own the second year, and died on the third.

You are correct - there have been a lot of studies done on the effectiveness of Catnip as a bug deterrent - which in some ways is good - as there is strong evidence to show that a natural alternative is actually 10 times more effective than a chemical deterrent.

Although you don't have any cats who are likely to be abusing your Catnip at present - should you ever have the problem again - you could try planting it in a hanging basket - as apart from keeping it safe and well out of a cats reach it also looks pretty good too.

Although Catnip is a perennial I don't normally keep mine for much longer than 2 years - as because the new grow has stronger bug repelling properties and the cats prefer the new growth too - I'm continually adding new plants in order to replace the old ones :)

Ask a Question