Bugs won't die

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a scotch bonnet plant that has never been outside. A few months ago we noticed some green bugs on the underside of leaves. We tried everything to get rid of them. Finally I cut the plant down to almost nothing, but as the leaves grew they came back. My wife is terrified they will move to other plants. I cut it down again took it out of the soil. Submerged it in water for one hour and replanted it in new dirt. It survived but as leaves emerged so did the bugs. My wife wants me to throw it out but I want to keep it.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
This is the culprit
I have a scotch bonnet plant that has never been outside. A few months ago we noticed some green bugs on the underside of leaves. We tried everything to get rid of them. Finally I cut the plant down to almost nothing, but as the leaves grew they came back. My wife is terrified they will move to other plants. I cut it down again took it out of the soil. Submerged it in water for one hour and replanted it in new dirt. It survived but as leaves emerged so did the bugs. My wife wants me to throw it out but I want to keep it.

Attachments

• 20231106_180812.jpg
    20231106_180812.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20231106_180823.jpg
    20231106_180823.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those are aphids. They are the easiest of the pests to kill but left alone they will literally suck the life out of the plant along with transmitting viruses. They really are plant lice. They do the most damage to my tomatoes and peppers compared to other insects.

With those I spray the plant with 1 tablespoon of Dawn Ultra dish detergent per gallon of water. Repeat in about 2 weeks as the eggs will hatch and appear as though it didn't work. You can use other organic things but I never can remember what since I've never used those. Neem oil or spinosad is what comes to mind.

And yes they will move to other plants but nightshades are their favorite.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh that was me sry. I just like toying with people.

Ask a Question